Active IR beams for perimeter protection - experiences?

How do you find them for false alarms? I played with them hung off an ESP8266 and got lots of false triggers, general comment seemed to be spikes in power supply but I spent ages messing around with seperate power supplys, ferrites, pi filters etc but still got a couple of false triggers a day.

Some of the cheap ESP8266 boards have underrated regulator chips that can cause problems when the Wifi kicks in. I am using a Feather Huzzah and have very few false triggers. I tried a cheap Wemos D1 mini clone and it was catastrophic.

1 Like

I think we are moving off topic guys :wink:

While playing with them I ended up powering the sensor direct from the external 5v supply via smoothing and filter caps and still had issues, of course as the sensors are all unbranded I may just have been unlucky with the supplier.Part of the issue was diagnosis before I realised that the test sensor in the bedroom triggered when there was movement in the living room as it was only a couple of metres away through a timber floor. I think I will revisit the idea but perhaps with different sensors than the original batch.

I tried one out instead of a PIR but found that it detected movement in the surrounding rooms as well - it was too good :slight_smile:

I tried sticking it inside a tin can but it was still too sensitive!

While I was playing I did have the thought of putting one in the ceiling void in the living room, whole house coverage with a 50p sensor!

Thanks @Paul-Reed

Does anybody have an idea whether the Aliexpress IR beams are usable?
I cannot determine their quality, based only on their specifications:

And their beam spread diameter looks so large too me:

Are that normal diameter sizes, e.g. compared to other well known brands?
P.S. not sure what the 135 mm means?

Although when I should buy the 250 meter model, the beam spread diameter will become smaller when I install those devices at 30 meter:

Does this make sense?