Bufferparser with U64 Modbus

I mean maybe there is a difference between defining/using a bigint as a variable and converting it from buffer
I dunno internally what you use in Buffer-parser but if its the buf.readBigInt that was introduced in node v10.20 and Becker is using

Ah - ok, i see where you are going with that (I missed the small print Added in: v10.20.0).

so yes, it is that. And is confirmed by the caught message...

TypeError: Cannot read property 'bind' of undefined\n at dataGetter (/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/node-red-contrib-buffer-parser/buffer-parser.js:373:49)

var fn = buffer[bufferFunction].bind(buffer);

^ this attempts to bind the selected function (in this case readBigInt64BE). I will look to update the node to better report the issue but the only solution for BigInt is to update node.js to a newer version.

so, @Becker - it looks like you need to update node.js

NOTE: I do suspect the the value is less than 32bit MAX so you could likely just grab the 32bits...

but as node 10 is EOL in 4 months - might be a good time to jump to node 12 or better still node 14.

running the script should update your node version :

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

Installing and Upgrading Node-RED

I did, but it doesn´t update:

==> v10.16.3

I don't think the script updates from V10 (only < 10).

If you were to uninstall node& npm manually and run it again, it will work.

but then the "NibePi" will be destroyed maybe :roll_eyes:
I got an image: https://github.com/anerdins/node-red-contrib-nibepi/
"nibepi_1.1_clean.rar" with integrated Node RED, what I've built everything on!

I´ve no idea to make a clean basic installation with NibePi.

My wish would be to install the latest Raspbian, then install the latest NR and install NibePi in the NR myself. I have to speak to the developer of NibePi...

For a clean install, first backup your flows, update os, install node-red via the script, install nibepi like you would any other node, import your flows.

If you have a spare SD CARD, use that - it might save you if you forget something.

NibePi is not just a flow, it is "deeper". It simulates a Modbus Gateway over RS485 (https://www.nibe.eu/assets/documents/24801/031725-10.pdf) - i have no idea to "save" and reinstall.

Yes, I agree. It would be safer to talk to the manufacturer of this device and let them issue a new image. In the meantime maybe do as Steve suggested earlier and do 2 32bit reads.

1 Like

Hi all,

I was reading about this node version update/downgrade manager program called n.
would it be safe if Becker installed n, update to the minor node 10.20 version and test if bigInts work.
With n he'll have the option to revert back to older version in case something breaks with NibePi?!

Command to Intall n globally
sudo npm install -g n

Install node version 10.20 using n
sudo n 10.20.0

Check node version
node -v

Option to choose different node red version that was installed
n

Has anyone used it ? .. any implications with installation paths etc ?

Well - certainly something to try on a device you don't care about - but this is a dedicated piece of hardware that has been customised with modbus extras - so the chances are just blasting it with a new version may not pick up any customisations to the hardware that may be required to make it work. It may work - but may not... depends how sure you are about restoring it back if it all goes wrong.
(Plus we don't really support using n with our install script so you have to install Node-RED manually on top - not hard but... not as easy as the script.)

I asked the inventor of NibePi, if he would create a manual to install the "NibePi components" for a fresh new installation on Raspian Buster with Node RED.
If he´ll not, I will live with U32. It is just too unimportant to tinker around here on myself / to steal your time.

the inventor wrote me:

You can install a fresh raspian.
In your nodered folder just type "npm install --save anerdins/node-red-contrib-nibepi#master" that Will give you The nodes

Can it be so easy ? Maybe one of you has a virtual machine and could try :see_no_evil:

That is a fairly normal process. The only difference to my previous suggestion is the author has said to install his nodes from git instead of the palette.

If you can, make a full backup or use other SD then give it a go.

Do I get the newst NR-Version after clean Install with:

bash <(curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/node-red/linux-installers/master/deb/update-nodejs-and-nodered)

?

That looks correct.
Also, dont run this as root.

Lastly (from the docs) you might need to do this first...

You may need to run sudo apt install build-essential git first to ensure npm is able to build any binary modules it needs to install.

1 Like

damn, doesn´t work

looks good

grafik

no config & no nibe nodes:

no idea to create such

Did you install from ~/.node-red? from the bit can make out, it looks like you may NOT have been inside the .node-red folder at some point. Look here...
^ suggests you were not in .node-red folder when you installed that node

Also, I cant see everything i need to from that screen shot.
Would be better if you copy the log to a reply

```
paste log
```

Does this help...

1 Like

Nope, just from console. :scream:
new try

I reinstalled the old image and imported my flows... 5h for nothing.

Now the courses leave blank. I'll go crazy.
Any idea?
I see the data comes into the course node, but the dashboard stays empty.