Compatible Light Switch For Node-Red

Hi All
I am in a similar situation. I want some smart switches as well. I want:

• Google Home Control
  • Node red compatibility
  • UK compatibility (I realise that I need a neutral wire)

There are millions of Wifi Switches and some look pretty nice. A lot offer Google Home / Alexa support but as far as I can see none offer an API that I can use with node-red. Do I really need to get a Sonof switch and then replace the firmware on each switch? That seems like a lot of hard work with possible future support issues.

Many Thanks for any suggestions.

You may be able to use the Tuya software that comes on most of the switches. I think there is a node for it and I think that it also supports GH.

However, you are, of course, trusting yourself and your home to the Internet and the people running the Tuya cloud in China. As this is something that you are, effectively, getting for "free", you perhaps may wish to consider what the true cost might be.

• Reliant on a working Internet connection (Virgin Media has been up & down this week).
  • Possibility of the service being turned off in the future.
  • Possibility that you might have to start paying for the service in the future.
  • Probability that your data is being sold to aggregators and mixed into advertising (political not just commercial) which ties your mobile devices, phone number, location and home network to your actual identity.

Oh and of course, do double check that the device is actually compatible with UK wiring, most aren't I don't believe. Also double check how your light switches are actually currently wired.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I definitely don't want something that doesn't work when the internet goes down. Not being able to turn the light off when there's a remote server issue or internet issue is crazy...

Really surprised that there isn't something on the market that does this. Might have to resort to hacking firmware...

Pushing the button on all sonoff devices toggle the internal relay without the need for wifi, sonoff light switch replacements toggle your light without wifi/internet connection just like a normal light switch (but its a touch button).
The only reason to have sonoff devices connected to wifi via tasmota or similar software is to enable remote operation via node-red / alexa / google home and other ui software which allows you to program automation such as adding timers, pir's toggle on temperature etc etc.
As for tasmota don't think of it as hacking, think of it as a superior replacement software to the supplied itead software that requires connection to some Chinese cloud which I have never ever used.
Incidentally if the internet goes down as it did this week "(Virgin Media has been up & down this week)" your local wifi connections will still function so node-red and tasmota will still work (obviously alex / google home control won't as they need a internet connection).