CPU Temperature on Windows

Nope it is a home W11 laptop on the very brink of being wiped in favour of Linux.
A statement I have made many times over the years yet somehow never had a happy experience with. But Mint seems to know how to drive screen, sound, wifi and touchpad this time round.

hwinfo on my PC gives me this

All useful info but not amenable to sending over MQTT from the other side of the world.

A little background: There is a 2 year old PC which I had built to replace one that was prone to sudden shutdowns. Now this one does the same.
There is nothing in Event Viewer to give any clue, except "Unexpected loss of power" which I think is when the plug is pulled and reinserted to force a restart.
The owner is terminally technophobic and cannot explain the visible LEDs, never mind verify that it's really dead.

So the plan is continuous monitoring over MQTT to see if I can see any patterns.
I'd like to monitor the temperature because I suspect the instability might be down to the builder not using enough thermal paste. But simpler system metrics will probably suffice.

If they've been yanking the power cord, you will need to do some checks. From my notebook:

From admin command prompt

SFC /scannow

Will need to reboot after.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

Don't run chkdsk /f on the C: drive directly. Instead:

• Settings > Recovery
  • Advanced Start up
  • Command Line
  • chkdsk /f c:
  • Reboot as needed

I recommend getting Teamviewer set up so you can do remote support.

1 Like

To throw another option into the mix, SystemBridge extracts CPU temps (plus more) and it has a fairly simple (but scantily documented) API that NR could use.

And another one: I'm using Telegraf to monitor most of my systems, both Linux and Windows. You don't have to necessarily use it with InfluxDB, you can simply use the MQTT output and process the data as you want.

1 Like

Looking at those options too, thanks.

Sadly my antivirus does not like the systembridge installer.

I was going to mention Telegraf but I wasn't sure what it could pick up on Windows. One of the advantages of that is that you can dump everything to MQTT (for current data) as well as to InfluxDB (for history). I don't bother to run it on my Windows desktop right now but I have done. I do run it on my Linux server and it captures all manner of stuff, not just the PC data but it monitors my WAN connections, DNS performance and more.

It seems fairly light on resources too. I used to run it along side Node-RED, Mosquitto, InfluxDB on my Pi3.

1 Like

Some features are (or were) available on Linux only, but Telegraf has improved there. For some metrics, you need to use WMI.

If you run libre/open-hardwaremonitor you can get even more data via WMI. Apart from the sensor data, I use that technique to get metrics from my Nvidia GPU.

BTW: I adapted the "external output plugin" for Telegraf to get it working with LibreHardwareMonitor: GitHub - kuema/open_hardware_monitor-telegraf-plugin: Open Hardware Monitor plugin for Telegraf

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.