Crested Gecko Tank Hardware Design Help

I saw some posts in another forum where people use collars with IR on them but I couldnt put collars on these guys. Since they are outdoor it would be dangerous for them if they get caught on something. Hey why not it is something to try out right.

I bought the 4 channel 5v DC relay today. Any suggestions on what I can use for external power?

A decent phone charger will likely be OK.

problem is well not problem :slight_smile: i have multiple devices i need to power. 5v water pump, DS18B20, DHT22 , 2 5v fans and and a 40w heat light. I am looking for the best way to power all the devices connected to the 4 way 5v relay. I have a ton of laptop chargers and pc power supplies that i could turn into power sources just need some guidance before I attempt it.

In that case some of those devices will require different power supply?

40w heat light - Most likely powered from mains / its own PSU ?

For the actual 5V devices then you need to work out what the total current consumption is.

Laptop PSUs are very unlikely to output 5V.

1 Like

I would like to control the heat light to go on and off when the temp gets too low so I would need to connect it to the relay board to control it.

You can connect it via the relay, but that doesn't mean it cannot have its own power supply.
The relays do not provide any power they only act as switches.

I think you need to draw out a circuit diagram of all the equipment and how you think it needs to be connected.

I don't wish to sound patronising, but if you are not sure what you are doing then it could be dangerous :wink:

absolutley agree :slight_smile:

this was my original before the comments from other members said I should put in a 4 x 5v relay and I am adding the light into the new diagram

I don't have a gecko to keep warm but I do have a vintage espresso machine that might meltdown if left switched on.

I use a mains smart plug to power it, running Tasmota. Node-red sends an "ON" message to the smart plug, but Tasmota automatically turns it off after 30 minutes even if the network goes down or Node-red is offline (Tasmota's Pulsetime option).

A similar approach might be appropriate to avoid a catastrophe roasting Douglas?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.