Discussion about a new Dashboard

The main appeal of the current Dashboard is being able to prototype a frontend interface quickly, but it lacks security, multi user support, and it lacks modularity/grouping (you can't create a subflow with widgets that you can use several times to represent different instances of a device).

UI Builder is better at that, but it requires much more coding, and is a little bit out of the low-code approach that node-red is great at.

So if I understood correctly, the two main options being pondered would be to either some kind of low-code editor for UIBuilder that would allow for simpler deployment without so much coding, or create a new dashboard from scratch?

There's also Flexdash and other alternatives being mentioned.

The key point here is to optimize resources, in my opinion. What would require less effort to be deployment-ready?

I assume that starting from scratch with a new Dashboard (that might also have to be retrocompatible, but not necessarily) would need way more resources than expanding UI Builder (which would need to be retrocompatible, unless you fork it).

As I said, if I can, I'd like to invest some time and effort in it, considering I'm using it regularly and putting some work into it would be a way of giving back. Hopefully I'll also learn a bit along the way.

2 Likes