Global context variables do not display in the Context Sidebar

On top of that, it would be helpful if you post the log of node-red starting procedure. And if you check the browser developer tool for any possible error in console. It really seems to be some kind of deep issue or we just are not able to see some kind of obvious thing right in front our eyes. very strange indeed.

I pulled the simple flow from an existing one and set it in a flow all by itself. I disabled the rest of the flows and then ran it by itself. I got the same results.

???

mmm... Did you press the inject node to run the flow ? You shoud see in the DEBUG panel the global variable names and the current timestamp (it was cropped in below image but will show up if you click in the image).

... of course.. thanks.

and could you share a screenshot of the debug that shows the timestamp ?

Andrei,
Let's be clear. I'm getting the functions and Global Context to work. That's not the problem. It just does not display in the Sidebar Context tab.. I get the FLOW Context tab displaying variable and content to work fine... I have not even tried the Node Context yet.

If the Debug Node with the change node is injected first, the value of the Global is "Undefined". But, in these trials, for the context of this discussion, I am trying to get it to work so I injected the node function first and then secondly the Change node separately.... and got the global context variable with the correct information..

I guess I'm not following your recommendation. I suppose I can arrange them into an array... but I really don't need to display the Globals into the "Debug" screen... yet. I was hoping to use the already existing feature to display the Global Context variables and the values in the Sidebar Context area.. If I/we cannot use the system to display the Globals, I can add functionality to display them in some context as you have shown in the "Debug" window or Sidebar.

Are you suggesting that I need to put the Global Context variables into an array? And if so, why? Does that facilitate the display on the Context Sidebar? I'm not at all following what you suggest.

Kind Regards,

Did you check the browser console for any errors?

it's listed above. it's blue.

This is fine, the node-red startup log, Looks OK for me at least. But i meant the browser dev tools (F12) console.

I believe there is a bug here with running in Windows 10 for the purpose of displaying the Global Context variables for some reason.

I cannot get the function to work and I do believe my example flow is very uncomplicated. I have removed all other context by disabling all other flows. I cannot make this any more simple for this example. All obvious items I have done, Deployment, refresh, Injected values. Shut down Node-Red, and reloaded the browser, clicked on the little refresh buttons on the Context area... everything It DOES work for "FLOW" Context. Quite nicely. But there is nothing in the Global variable area.

not really. I just proposed an alternative way to display the global variables for troubleshooting the issue at hand. If you can see, in the debug pane (in yellow color) the global variables after running my testing flow it means that the global variables are indeed being set correctly. I can not image another troubleshooting step at this point.

My config is more or less the same as yours:

18 Sep 15:42:44 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.19.1
18 Sep 15:42:44 - [info] Node.js version: v8.11.1
18 Sep 15:42:44 - [info] Windows_NT 10.0.17134 x64 LE

Not that simple, cos I have 2 win 10 systems running with no problems what so ever.

Current one:
18 Sep 22:44:03 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.19.4
18 Sep 22:44:03 - [info] Node.js version: v8.11.3
18 Sep 22:44:03 - [info] Windows_NT 10.0.17134 x64 LE

Andrei,
OK, Yes, The purpose of the small flow was to set a value into a Global Context and then pull it out of the Global Context variable and put it into the payload. Pretty much just a debug tool to show that it was working.

I cannot uninstall node-red-node-email to upgrade it. And this bug. Everything else seems good. Is it related to some kind of funky install? Upgrade? or something went wrong in the upgrade?

Exactly !

Do you do anything with functionGlobalContext in your settings file?

no, should I?
I'm guessing I'm missing all the information on that topic.

I am trying to figure out why it isn't working for you, but is working for everyone else. There must be something unique about your setup and flows - but I simply have no idea at the moment what could cause the behaviour you are seeing.

One possible area we have not explored was if you had something 'odd' under functionGlobalContext - but if you've not touched it, then that rules that out.

I was just looking at it with the documentation. I have not done anything to the file at all. I just looked at it and I have not saved it yet.

contextStorage: {
   default: {
       module: "localfilesystem"
   }
},

I inserted it before the comments of functionGlobalContext: {},

Where do I specify the file, path? for this localfilesystem? is that automatic? I have not found anything on this topic.