Greenhouse irrigation

Once flashed, what process are you using to add specific functionality, or add aditional libraries to the Wemos?
Is it OTA ? How does that work in practice.

Hi Paul,
I use the ESP-Easy-mega firmware.
This comes with loads of in-built routines for various sensors/transducers.
For the resistive soil moisture sensor I used the analog input converter.

I used one of the Wemos output pins to switch a transistor on for 30-seconds every 15-minutes.
This transistor powered the soil sensor (as I had read that the sensor corrodes when it has a constant current flowing through it).
My IoT students have used it for about 3-months with no problems at all.
Don't know how accurate the sensor is, but as we are only watering some Basil plants - not too critical.

Yes you can do OTA updates of the firmware.
Just go to Tools >> Firmware >> Load and then browse to where the update is on your computer.

I tend to check for ESP-Easy updates on a regular basis and update my key Wemos D1 Minis devices.

Cheers from David

ScreenShot031

Paul, I've been working on a flow to let you see all your Wemos, their status and a link to the individual wemos webpage. It is a work in pogress that Dave has been testing. I hope to share it next week after I make a couple more changes and recover from the invasion of family that has been here since Thursday and is leaving tomorrow. :grin:

I'd be happy to give you an early release. Once you get more than two or three it starts to get confusing
Paul

1 Like

Thanks Dave, I'll have a good look around when the Wemos order is delivered.

That would be a nice addition, I was looking at this earlier - GitHub - Grovkillen/ESP_Easy_Netscan: A tool to scan and find ESP Easy (ESP82XX) units and thought how handy it would be, but having that functionality as a NR flow is a bonus :grinning:

I tend to check for ESP-Easy updates on a regular basis and update my key Wemos D1 Minis devices

Why? If the device works as expected, there is no reason to update - on the contrary...the only thing you can achieve is to break it.

Regular or even automatic updates are a great source of troubles...

1 Like

I just posted my project if you want to try it out.

I don't have any devices running ESPeasy as yet, but once I do, I'll certainly give it a try.
Thanks.

Save yourself some wiring and just buy an opto-isolated SSR, if the pump is AC powered, to minimize spurious rf get an opto-isolated zero-crossing SSR

I'm getting lots of good ideas from this thread.

1 Like

Wow that is very similar, BUT it's Windows ONLY! My project is running on a Pi Zero W. :grin:

I'm using opto-isolated zero crossing SSRs for my temperature controller but they're 25 and 40 amp units. They are so economical, <$5us, I'm almost ready to use one for a 1amp water pump. :wink:

You'll probably not even need a heat sink for 1A.
I used one on a 3A circuit a while ago, and it was fine with no heat sink, although the case was well ventilated.

@Npizza: I am enabling the selenoid valve manually or using the weather forecast from DarkSky via MQTT coming from NodeRED. Do you need help in MQTT-Import this into ESPEasy?

`on System#Boot do
GPIO,12,2 // at first set both to input
GPIO,13,2 // to stay save - later it is an output
GPIO,16,0 // STBY on, do nothing
endon

on Bodenfeuchte#Pflanz1>575 do
if [Wasser#FreigabeHahn1]=1 and [Regensensor#Regen]=0
Pulse,16,1,100
Pulse,12,1,50
Pulse,13,0,50 //start watering (open valve)
Publish aussen/state/WM/Garten01/Wasser/Hahn1,1
timerSet,1,300 //timer 1 set for 5 minutes

else
Pulse,16,1,100
Pulse,12,0,50
Pulse,13,1,50 //stop watering (close valve)
Publish aussen/state/WM/Garten01/Wasser/Hahn1,0
endif
endon

on Rules#Timer=1 do
Pulse,16,1,100
Pulse,12,0,50
Pulse,13,1,50 //stop watering (close valve)
Publish aussen/state/WM/Garten01/Wasser/Hahn1,0
endon`

Pflanz1 is a cheap Capacitive Soil Moisture sensor, FreigabeHahn1 is a MQTT-input and Regen is a simple water sensor. I also attached a simple water flowmeter YF-S201 to detect flow even when there should be no flow. Gives me the possibility to react when receiving an alert on my phone.

Ya, no heat sink required. I used the FOTEK SSR-40 DA (24-380VAC - 3-32vdc trigger) for years turning a freezer on/off. It drew about 7A on start then about 3A running. I had four of them controlling freezers and heat lamps for several years with no issues at all. They were enclosed in an acrylic plexiglass box and bolted together! I'm using them now because they trigger on 3vdc and less than 10ma. Ideal for a RPi3.

Hi Paul:
Did you have a problem with the arduino IDE finding tools/esptool/esptool.exe?

Is this a library used by ESPeasy?
If so, I haven't tried ESPeasy yet, so no.
Maybe @dynamicdave would be the best person to ask, as he uses ESPeasy.

Paul

The issue was ArduinoIDE v1.8.5 not finding the file to upload the app. I switched over to an older version, v1.6.12 and it works fine. Go figure. This is the second time the ArduinoIDE has bitten back.
Looking for eapeasy now. :smile:

I use a Mac and have been using the esptool.py command line i to do y initial load of ESPeasy. From then on, I do the OTA updates. This is so much easier than coding a new xxx.ino file for each Wemos and trying to keep track of which is which.

Now if I can just figure out how to flash a Sonoff....

Paul (aka zenofmud)

This is funny. I searched all over the web looking for esptool.exe and couldn't find it. I switched to ArduinoIDE v1.6.12 and got a simple blinker to upload so I downloaded espeasy and unzipped it and there it is. I may be able to use v1.8.5 after all.
Now, what bin to pick????

Here is the link to the mega version releases. I'm currently using the latest.

esptool is python - here is the link : https://github.com/espressif/esptool

OK, got that done. Trying to find how to connect to the wemos D1 now.