Ideas about solar production forecasting

Some Credit where it is due!

Bart and Hotnipi! (Plus anybody I failed to mention)

Your multistate switch is brilliant!!

Here I am using it not only as a switch, but as an indicator too:
screenshot-192.168.0.118_1880-2021.07.12-15_35_37

The blue LED on the right of the switch indicates that the process is in "Auto" mode, the position of the switch indicates that the process is "Auto Off" ....

Should it be manually turned on, the switch would be in the manual position, ie On/Off with the indicator LED on the right of it glowing red (Naturally, the On position button has a green background and the position Off has a red!)...

Awesome!! Thank you soooooo much!!

Ed

2 Likes

Using node-red to control the energy use of a household by optimising the usage of solar energy is a very relevant topic for this forum. I learn a lot by reading all your contributions, thank you very much.

I did a lot of measuring in my house to understand what is used, how much and when. The most important energy consumption:
Freezers: We have two freezers. The pumps are very small, and are designed to run a short time and then have a longer pause (1min / 5 min). Forcing them to run longer to store energy will just reduce the lifespan of the pumps, which destroys all the savings.
Hot water: about 4kWh/day. The trick here is, that my boiler has a separate control input to signal when excess solar power is available. I use this as a simple mechanism to use excess solar power to generate hot water.
Heating: we use manually heating with wood, node-red can't help here.
Electric car: It needs about three times as much energy than the whole household. Therefore my current focus is there. See my ongoing adventure here: control charging for Tesla

The hints about solar energy predictions are a great help and I want to try this. Please keep up the discussion and the very helpful hints.

Kind regards,
Urs.

1 Like

I use hall effect DC current devices from devicecraft.com, very inexpensive.

I've been using solcast for a couple of years and it's accurate enough for me, Sure, we have micro-climates that don't conform but it's good to know when the dishwasher and laundry is best done. My controller is operating a number of smart switches with Espurna software and they give power consumption readings back.

2 Likes

Hello
I installed the system in my Home Assistant 2 days ago - in my experience even current results a very different to real values ov my 1/3East/2/3West-PV System (I installed the 2 sides individually).

Most benefit I see are the today/next day date because the may indicate whether to load the EV today or tomorrow

I enclose the current data result comparison:

1 Like

Which is which on the graph ? i..e what is the forecast and what is the actual ?

Craig

I assume due to the number & spacing of chart datapoints, that the red & blue traces are the actual readings, and the yellow & green are the forecast.
Red & Yellow appear to be one site, and Blue & Green is the other.

Right - I thought it might be selfexplaining somehow as the (unpaid) forecast is one value/h only --> the smooth lines.
East is always the one with the peak earlier the day.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Consumption profiles

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.