Influxdb suggested schema

That is not at all what is described in the how-to...

They do show writing the downsampled data to a new measurement within the same database though. Different measurements within the same database can be set to use different retention policies; RPs are not database wide. There is a default RP for each database but it's not mandatory to use it. You can query multiple measurements at once too.

We're getting super into the weeds though.

1 Like

ic...thanks for clarifying!

I restrict my sensors to report about once a minute. A couple do about every 30sec. So I keep that data in detail for 30 days. I have a second database that is a downsampling to hourly and I keep that indefinitely though I really need to trim it to a couple of years.

Your downsampled chart WILL include recent data but only averaged (or however you've downsampled) to the hour. It is true that you need separate charts though.

I think if I had a sensor reporting that fast, I'd directly downsample it. Depends on need of course. None of my environmental data needs data samples under a minute. I do have Raspberry Pi data down to a few seconds but that doesn't need keeping very long.