Inject node with cronti

Tried your latest, but still not working as expected.
The schedule is set to start at 22:35hrs, yet the node is producing outputs as soon as deployed (22:28hrs).

Thanks for your feedback and your contribution of the package I developed.

A new version has been released for the start early cronjob from node-red-clone-inject-with-cronti - pushed to node-red:dev from buglss:inject-node-with-cronti branch for pull request.

Release Note For Demo Package: Release v1.0.13 Ā· buglss/node-red-clone-inject-with-cronti Ā· GitHub

Summary:

• Bug fixed to start date for intervals two dates option. (81648d6)

inject-node-with-cronti-fix-2

Is the Crontime feature working OK?

cronti2

Using the Intervals two dates feature example above, the node status shows the resultant Cron expression and start & finish times.
That's a lot of information for node status, and the date/time is not displayed in Local time, so currently in the UK there is a 1 hour difference between what is input into the node settings, and what is displayed below it (new users may be confused by that).

cronti

However, note the Cron expression - */1 9 9-9 6-6 *
If that expression is added to Cronti, the result is...

Whilst entering the same expression in the node-red-contrib-cron-plus node, it is interpreted correctly

cronplus

To be honest, I currently use cron+ and find it easier to use than the Cronti additions.
I've looked at the other Cronti features, but I found difficulty in understanding all of their logic, despite reading your post above and the node/git read-me links.

For those reasons (and the bugs) I'm not doing any more testing with Cronti, but thanks for putting the ideas forward for consideration. I'm sure that the node-RED team will consider your PR, and update you when a decision is made

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. @Paul-Reed I appreciate you testing my npm package and providing feedback. @TotallyInformation thank you for your constructive criticism and information about the certificate. @Steve-Mcl thank you for your constructive criticism. @dceejay thank you for the information about the certificate.

I was expecting it to have bugs as it is a new package. I will fix these bugs with more work.

My mistake was to compare the new package with another package that was already using. I apologize if I acted offensively because of this. With the excitement of releasing the first package, I could not look realistically.

In my opinion, the Cron+ package is a successful package and it does not have a relatively complex structure. This inject version that I extended with cronti has its own simply and well. But that doesn't make it any better than the cron+ package.

This core development I have done aims to solve the problem with core nodes without the need to install a new package in a zero project. Yes, proven packages like cron+ can be used for more advanced cron jobs. But before going for this additional install, he should not install a new package if these simple features in the core node are sufficient for that person. My aim is to add additional features to the simply and well core inject node without breaking this simply and well concept.

If you've come this far with patience, I have 2 bonus information :slight_smile: I haven't tested its feasibility yet (POC), it's just an idea. I plan to implement these two ideas in the future.

Bonus 1: Focus Node From URL (e.g. https://localhost:1880red/#flow/<flowId>?node=<nodeId>)
Bonus 2: Display Detail of Request for http-request Node (e.g. display flow popup or tooltip whe mouse on hover or click event of http-request node)

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support.

3 Likes

It's great to have people come and challenge assumptions / the status quo with new ideas, and to provoke a good debate to air multiple viewpoints - especially with examples.

2 Likes

Just remember, that PR's that add new features without any prior discussion are likely to be closed. Our contribution guidelines explain how we prefer contributions to be made. Making a comment in a thread like this does not satisfy the 'has been discussed on the forum' criteria.

1 Like

We all have great ideas for new features to the core nodes but from experience over the years, these only happen slowly.

Which is ok :slight_smile:

I have been wanting major changes to the switch mode but have learnt to be patient.

You've had the skills and knowledge to make your own contrib node so you are lucky :slight_smile:

IMO the inject node needs to be simple to use as possible as it's the very first node that beginners will use

1 Like

Getting offtopic, but FYI I only use http-requests nodes without any url, always via msg.url and even route multiple nodes to a single http-request node with link nodes, to keep flows clean. another 2 cents.

Hi everyone, I have published the package I developed the node-red core inject node as contrib.

Node-Red: node-red-crontinject (node) - Node-RED
npm: @buglss/node-red-crontinject - npm
cronti: cronti - npm

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.