Install NodeRED under separate user on RaspberryPi?

Via renaming of the original account I created my personal account. But exactly because of the thinking of @TotallyInformation I now created a separate user, which just runs Node-RED. I became kind of fluent with Linux, so I now also like some nerdy stuff there :wink: And this new user needed to support this as well.

And the original anxiety, which sparked my whole topic is exactly, what you described here: Happy New Year (well maybe for some) ... A security warning Of course I will also take additional measures, when ever making Node-RED accessible from the internet. But I like multiple safety nets, especially for such a mighty thing as Node-RED, which I have not yet understood and therefore cannot assess the risk and potential mitigation strategies.

2 Likes

Well, I'm glad that post helped & glad that you've learned some new things along the way - the best way to stay young I find! :grinning:

Me too. It's hard to be too paranoid. On the Internet, there's always someone out to get you! :thinking:

You've already done more than many and you shouldn't stress out too much. In reality, for most people, the risks really are quite small. Following sensible cyber security practices will certainly keep you pretty safe.

If you want to learn more, here are a couple of useful places to start:

2 Likes

Thanks, this looks very interesting. If I had known in what rabbit hole I got myself with this project :thinking: