New installation - full raspbian - today

You could always update npm.
sudo npm install -g npm@5

Is it possible you in stalled it in two places? maybe locally and globally? Im not sure how to tell byt what does which npm show? that will give you th location of at least one of them.

Did you install in the same way @dceejay did?

Thanks for your patience guys, I think we screwed the npm install in my script.. now put new version up ā€“ it was old npm stopping serial I think. Reinstall will take a little while

Pete

Here you say;

...and here you say;

?

Do you install node-red-contrib-npm in your script?

what is the output of:

find /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/np*

No, we have a long developed script which does NR and lots of other stuff, but there is a bug in current version.

Sorry I meant node which is 8.oddā€¦ npm was wrong one, way to early. Fixed that but currently working on another issue

Yes, is it troublesome?

I had some issues on a RPi where the node-red-contrib-npmwas installed.

The node-red-contrib-npm will also install npm v2.15.12 in .node-red/node_modules/npm

So the question is: which npm does node-red use when installing/uninstalling using the manage-palette or if you install/uninstall a node in the folder .node-red ?

It uses whatever is in the path for the user that is running node-red. So hopefully nowadays 5.x or 6.x

and hopefully I'm on the way to a working setup, sorry for the hassle but that install of an old npm is worth being aware of. "the SCRIPT" will now work but good idea to run Dave CJs script later to get rid of any globally loaded nodes and replace with local versions.

wget --no-check-certificate https://bitbucket.org/api/2.0/snippets/scargill/ekon6o/master/files/script.sh

I load and run the script as root and after a couple of mins it asks you to log out and log in as PI... at which point it makes a copy. In both cases "bash script.sh" works.. this installs a LOT more than nr, inc Mosquitto, SQLITE, APACHE, PHP, Grafana and more, on more than just Raspberry PI, discussed in the blog at https://tech.scargill.net undser item "the script".- I hope someone finds this useful. All was fine until Pi and NR upgrades, issues now hopefully sorted. Usually, any problems come from the other scripts we end up calling - like the serial port script. Right now, I'm not seeing any issues with the install.

2 Likes