Node-red-contrib-simpletime enhancement

just keep an "old flow" with the old version of the node in it... then copy it to "test.json" and start node-red test.json... test and repeat...

This is all making my brain hurt a lot :grimacing:

JFI I'm so messed up at my end that I've ended up with my main instance not even adding any propeties even when using the original 2.9.1 :slight_smile:

I've had to hide my axe :slight_smile:

But its very educational.........................

I think I'm there at last :slight_smile:

Basically tried installing a 2.9.1 version (on a clean alternate install) - just got original properties screen with no checkboxes

npm installed duff 2.9.3 - got checkbox properties with none pre-checked

npm installed 2.9.1 again - back to original screen

npm installed new 2.9.4 - got checkbox properties with all pre-checked

So hopefully that's a valid test sequence

New PR with 2.9.4 on its way - can you change to 2.9.5 when finally merged into master

Going for a lie down :slight_smile:

Will it be released as 2.10.0 when it gets to npm?

I've no idea - way above my pay grade :slight_smile:

You certainly are! nice work & thank you.

Yes it will, as it includes backwards compatible functionality changes.
Meanwhile, I'll bump it to v2.9.5 as Simon requested.

1 Like

I'll start on the extra property and the check/uncheck all feature after my fortnight holiday in the Maldives :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes as its a change/addition of function it should get a minor version bump on npm. hopefully all these test ones aren't on npm.

2 Likes

No, it won't be updated on npm until all the changes are in.

Ok - I've got a draft version which includes the extra yyyy-mm-dd propertie and two buttons to select/unselect all the checkboxes

it works (for me) BUT I couldn't find any nodes that use buttons so I'm a bit vary of doing a PR until others have had a say as to whether using plain buttons is good enough for a Node-RED node

What do people think?

My current development html file is here

[edit]30Jun 9:30 changed to right link [/edit]
2 Likes

Try <button type="button" class="red-ui-button">Button</button>

Edit: maybe you also find a font-awesome icon for that button

2 Likes

further to what @cinhcet suggested, you can use the browsers Devtools you can inspect a button similar & see what classes are applied. You can even add a class to your buttons directly in the Devtools to see what it looks like before you modify your source.

And side by side layout would help

1 Like

what about (to give you the flexibility you want and to make it the be and end all) - a single checkbox to include the selected options (so more than one) as msg properties so select mymonth, myday, myhour and it puts these out as msg.mymonth, msg.myday, msg.myhour - then they could just be grabbed in a change node and set however you want it to look on the way out ?

Craig

wooooooshsh.................... :laughing:

1 Like

Ta :slight_smile: Looks much nicer

2 Likes

:laughing:

If you get a taste for development, you will probably end up in devtools at some point.

If you are interested in exploring this, you can right-click a button you like the style of, click "Inspect" from the popup context menu - see what classes & style values are applied to that button then right-click your button -> inspect, then apply class and style changes (in the browser) to see the effect before you apply the changes to your source code (saves time restarting / refreshing etc)

Welcome to the team :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the further info - had a play but I think less is better in this case rather than coloured :slight_smile:

@Paul-Reed

I jsut photo-shopped it to stick buttons on the top - which one do you prefer this or previous one with them at the bottom?

Or some other arrangement?

I don't know what you mean by this

Paul just wanted an easy method to select/unselect all the boxes so that's why I went for two buttons

Are you talking about a completely different design concept?

The way I read it is, why not just include or not include the extra values. Is there any real benefit from excluding individual items? I don't imagine there is a huge cost (in terms of CPU cycles) including all of these properties in every message, then the user can chose to (or not) use 1 or more of them. Seems like an awful lot of dev work for reasons I don't know what benefit (disclaimer - I haven't read the entire thread) But feel free to correct me if I am wrong by all means.

Ps If I were to go down the path suggested by @craigcurtin, I would personally wrap all those properties in their own object (e.g. msg.simpletime.hour, msg.simpletime.second, etc ) rather than directly in the msg.

Ps2, this is not a jibe or criticism of your work or direction, only a personal observation and an interpretation of what @craigcurtin said - I mean no offence.

1 Like