Node-red-mcu-plugin v1.0: Integrating Node-RED MCU Edition into the Node-RED editor

Yes, I have used that node extensively.

Thanks @ralphwetzel and @jmorris644. That looks like the place to start. That looks reasonably similar to the TCP nodes. I'd probably start with the Serial In and Serial Out nodes, leaving the more complex Serial Request for later.

In and Out would be awesome. Personally I have never used the Request node.

That's great to know, thank you. I'll find some time to start scoping out the Serial In and Out nodes. Just understanding the options and how they work in various combinations can be a small adventure.

Currently I am using Tasmota on all of my smart switches. I am playing with this project on some of the switches that do not need serial capability.

What I would like to be able to do is create a "mesh" of the switches themselves without needing a WiFi network. Is there a way to create an access point using this project?

If you did that are you not just creating another wifi network?

I remember reading that Tasmota already has this type of functionality to extend the Wi-Fi range, I haven't tried it yet but there are a couple of different options supported.

I'm not sure I fully get what you intend to do.
node-red-mcu brings Node-RED to a MCU. Many things you can do with Node-RED is as well possible with node-red-mcu. It yet was never designed to be an operating system for MCU based devices - like Tasmota is.
node-red-mcu founds on Moddable SDK; Moddable offers a plentitude of additional features that could be used - given someone finds the time & pleasure to creates nodes for those. There's e.g. rock solid Bluetooth & BLE capability in the SDK - potentially opening a path to a networking capability without WiFi.

In a sense, yes. But it would be self reliant.

will also look into the bluetooth capabilities of the Moddable SDK.

I use my ESPs with self-coded stuff and added ESP-NOW and a kind of mesh functionality. Sure its no Tasmota but for sensors and small data packages it works like mesh. Maybe you could try ESP-NOW

1 Like

Hi Joe!
Just a short info: There's now a port of node-red-node-serialport available for MCU. It's not in the node-red-mcu core yet, but fully operational. For further details (there are not many), refer to its short documentation.

To use this, you needed to update node-red-mcu-plugin, currently directly from GitHub.

1 Like