Node-RED SSL using Letsencrypt & Certbot

Hi Ioan,

I have no knowledge about certbot, but I'm about to announce a new LetsEncrypt node for Node-RED. So I have been playing with the acme protocol already, which hopefully can get you a bit started ...

• When you request a new certificate for a domain (mydomain.com), the guys from Letsencrypt have to be sure that you are the owner of domain.com. Otherwise everybody could request a certificate, which means it wouldn't be secure anymore ...

To make sure you are the owner, they will send a token to the acme client (in your case Certbot) and that client needs to make that token available on port 80 of the domain:

1. Certbot on your VPS sends a certificate request to Letsencrypt. Letsencrypt returns a token that Certbot needs to make available on port 80.
    2. Letsencrypt will try to get the token via port 80. If it succeeds, you will get your certificate.

The reason they use port 80 (or 443) is that you need to be administrator (or root user) to listen to port 80 on any system. So only the administrator (who controls the server) has access to it. That way they know they are talking to someone that controls the domain. And that is also the reason that they don't allow redirects to other ports (to avoid cheating)!

So I 'think' that if you should install certbot on your RPI, and you forward port 80 of your domain to port 80 of your RPI, then I assume it should also work...

• Once you have received your Letsencrypt certificate, that certificate should be used by your webserver when you connect to Node-RED:

You navigate to your mydomain.com from your browser. Even when Node-RED is running on your RPI (and the certificate is stored into your key files there), it doesn't matter for your browser. Your browser receives a certificate, and inside the certificate the domain name is mydomain.com. Your browser sees that the domain inside the certificate matches the domain name you have entered in the browser's address bar, so the certificate is marked as valid ...

Good luck!
Bart

2 Likes