Raspberry pi outdated software

That's the default, you don't need it.

@TotallyInformation OK :ok_hand:

and for humans it's easier to read without the --json :slight_smile:
As I said sometimes it will only upgrade to a level it is allowed to safely by the semantic versioning - that is the wanted level. There may be a version it knows about but won't upgrade to unless you force it - that is the latest version... they may of course all be the same.

Yes, but easier to process in Node-RED with it :wink: So depends what you want t o

That was the reason for returning json as I was recommending using a node-red flow to send a notification when an update is available. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@dceejay @TotallyInformation I must say @TotallyInformation , he is right. I need to process that data, so the option --json is very welcome.:slight_smile:

no problem - I thought you had gone away from just updating dashboard to the more general how do I see all the things that can be updated - which is a lot easier to do manually imho.. but hey.

@dceejay :ok_hand:

Just slightly off-topic, but I can't remember the last time I've run npm outdated. Is that going overboard with "if it ain't broke..."? When is it a good idea?

1 Like

Well, I run it maybe once a month or so along with npm -g outdated. I find it easier than going through the built-in palette manager. I do a general sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade at the same time.

Personally, I find it easier to keep things reasonably up-to-date than suddenly finding I have loads of updates to wade through at one time. Of course, having rock-solid backups helps as well since it makes recovery easy should something go awry.

1 Like

Got it. If we're just talking about NR nodes, I'll stick to the palette manager. Updating everything in on the Pi has been a bumpy road at times.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.