Simple NR android push notification app?

Hi,
Any recommendations for a simple lightweight android push notifications app and node. Do not want to use email as I am already getting too many emails, and could not be bother with twitter credentials, developer,etc.
Just after a simple and lightweight app and a node with minimal setup I can trigger for an event.
Thanks,
Ken

0 Likes

Telegram. Lots of examples of usage on the page:

2 Likes

Pushover, nice and simpel but not free. One time $5
Pushbullet, free with max messages per month.

Both are supported by NR

1 Like

Hi All,
Thanks for the recommendations. For my application Pushbullet looks good.
Telegram has a lot of features, probably wasted for my simple application.
My application is a simple ir detector at the front door with a p2p fish eye camera with 2 way audio. On detecting movement at the door NR send a notification to the android and I can watch and talk to whoever is at the door and also for security.
Ken

0 Likes

Good choice!

0 Likes

JFI - I just tried to install node-red-node-pushbullet node on a Pi - didn't work

Tried it on my Win10 machine - also didn't work

So there may be issues with it at the moment

0 Likes

Just installed pushbullet on my Pi, and it's working fine here. No problems.

0 Likes

mm - was that via the pallette or via command line? (I used/tried the pallete manager)

0 Likes

Via the palette manager

0 Likes

Ok - just checked both instances and they are both 0.20 so upgrading the Pi to see if that is the issue

0 Likes

Updating my Pi to 0.20.5 and it installs fine - sorry for generating fog :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should it be highlighted as a issue for v0.20, so others with 0.20 who want to install Pushbullet is aware?

0 Likes

I think people (including me) just need to keep up- to-date as it is Rule 2 of debugging - Rule 1 being switching it off and on again :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Ummm Rule 1 is having a backup :blush:

1 Like

I think it was PushBullet that I had problems with and switched to Telegram. Although Telegram has lots of options, you rarely need to use anything other than the basics. It is no harder to use than PushBullet.

The issue with PushBullet was that it didn't handle historic data properly and you had to go through and delete old messages otherwise everything slowed to a crawl. Telegram doesn't have that issue. You can push through thousands of messages without issue.

0 Likes

As a matter of interest, how do you handle the receipt at the phone? Just receive as a telegram message?

0 Likes

+1 for Pushover. Dead simple. Grab the user and app hashes and that's it. I use it for all my developments.

0 Likes

Correct.
You can create a menu/interactions with the bot, send pictures, audio, video and control your devices.

chatbot

1 Like

Ah, not seen that. Got any tutorial pointers? I've got a bot setup but it just send a message.

0 Likes

There are numerous examples on the nodes page:

1 Like