Tutorial - Read a sensor by running a Node-RED flow on an ESP32 via node-red-mcu

This is a fantastic write-up! Very clear and detailed. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. After reading your tutorial, I think I finally understand your project -- measuring the level of water in a tank using the ultrasonic distance sensor.

I very much appreciate your pioneering effort here. Early adopters shake-out issues, making the project more robust for everyone who follows. You definitely choose a road with a some extra challenges by using the WT32-ETH01 board without auto-programming circuitry or USB bridge and a headless Raspberry Pi for development. But, eventually it all works! Many thanks to @ralphwetzel for his patient efforts on your journey.

Other nodes (e.g. function nodes) will also be converted automatically for your MCU, but they 'might' contain a bit too much code for a low-resource MCU.

On an ESP32 like you are using, you should not easily run into resource constraints with Function nodes. @Colin has been working on an ESP8266 which has much less free memory than an ESP32 (roughly 40 KB versus 250 KB) so he has bumped into memory limits much more quickly.

Have fun with it, and please support the Moddable team by start using their stuff!!!

The Node-RED MCU Edition project continues to evolve rapidly. Feedback from the Node-RED community helps set priorities. I've recently been working on an OTA Update node to let flows manage firmware updates. That was motivated by community input. And it should be convenient for those WT32-ETH01 boards in your garden to receive updated flows.

5 Likes