Viability question

Or you can check out the DHCP data on your router.

I keep a spreadsheet of known devices with their description, MAC, IP Addr, IP Name.

I always use DHCP to give fixed IP's to known devices. That way, they are always easy to remember and find.

In regard to displays, I recently purchased a Pi case with 3.5in touch screen from Banggood.

Currently on sale for £12 I thought it was worth a go even if I end up not using it. Which I may not in the end since it actually gives a Linux desktop and so uses up rather a lot of resources. Still it is a fun screen that is integrated into the case which is nice. I needed a case anyway as my Pi3 has been naked since birth - about a year ago!

On balance though, I think that the OLED idea is better as you can have a display of just the basics with none of the overheads of a desktop. I think I'll be getting one.

Fixed IP and Dymo - just for the oldies :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah but you need to get into it in the first place in order to fix the ip (or indeed load up the i2c / oled code). Avahi is already running on first boot so you can always find it at raspberrypi.local (and as long as you enabled ssh on the sd card when you burnt it you can then get in and set everything else up)

Aren't you lot making this more difficult that it needs to be?

Connect what ever device at what ever IP address.

All messages are done via MQTT, so IP addresses aren't really needed.

The device "displaying" the messages gets its information via MQTT too.....

So......????

Or did I miss something somewhere?

Sorry, I should be reading this a bit more than I was, but I got a bit distracted. "Squirrel!" :wink:

even MQTT needs a broker ... that is in a "fixed" address. If you are on a dhcp network it may well move.. - so either you have to fix it (normal practise) - or use something else like avahi and set a hostname like broker - so broker.local would be easy to remember.

Yeah...... But that is fixed.

From what I am reading: the discussion is about the device displaying the "messages".
So it doesn't matter what its IP address is. It just needs to know the MQTT Broker IP.

Not really :slight_smile: It will be listed on your routers DHCP table.

Another way would be to get Node-RED to post the devices IP address to MQTT on startup - but that assumes you know the IP address of the MQTT broker so it may not really help.

Though I agree that Bonjour works just fine if you have it.

routers dhcp table ? jeez then I have to remember the admin account and password for my router.. life is too short, :slight_smile:

Haha! Agreed, that is what LastPass or equivalent is for. I don't know most of my passwords, or ID's for that matter. Of course, doubtless there are still too many people who leave them at the default so they would simply need to google it :frowning:

Anyway, you only actually have to do it once. Because then you set a static IP using your routers DHCP settings page :smile: No need to change any settings in the device.

Can you not use mDNS?

This just needs DHCP enabled, plug your PI in, then go to raspberry.local (or whatever you set your hostname to). No need to know the IP address.

1 Like

You need to clarify what it is you want to display and then the solution can be better defined. Is it a rich graphical environment, or a simple text output system - or something in between

Who will be consuming this output - just you, others on your home network etc, does it need to be interactive or purely a one way push of status data etc ?

Craig

Few of thoughts on this one.

Craig,

Good questions.

Alas at this time I am swimming in options.

Basically I want something to give a wide view of what is going on.

These will be displayed on simple "LEDs". Either green/red, or off/red conditions. (Probably latter)

Then any "events" like if anyone rang the doorbell. Again this would be a simple LED, but then I may want to include stuff like a display with which I can see what time they called.

There may also be a digital clock on it. Be it permanent or with the press of a button.

I hope that helps you, and others, with what I am trying to do.

I think that is just the frame - neither the screen nor the pi is included according to the data sheet. Also, the screen that fits it is, I believe, a small "monitor" so you would need to run the Linux desktop to get any output. Not too much of a problem if you are using an extra Pi. But still ,you will have additional configuration if all you want is a dashboard like display without a keyboard (e.g. a Kiosk configuration).

Personally, I would go for an ESP8266 or an ESP32 with an attached screen then use a library to create a custom dashboard. Programmed via the Arduino IDE since you imply that you are already somewhat familiar with that. All connected back to Node-RED via MQTT over WiFi.

It is a little more work to set up but will give you a lot more flexibility. For example, it would be easier to position it where you want and you could further enhance it with a battery option if you choose to.

If you choose an ESP32, you will get bluetooth as well if you want it and you get more memory and storage and better access to the RTOS so that you can more easily use event-driven programming with buttons or touchscreen. Many of the ESP32 modules also come with SD-card options in case you want even more local storage. An ESP32 is probably not far off the power of a Pi Zero in some aspects with more robust IO and less cruft from the OS getting in the way.

If you want a unit that is neat and ready made, the M5-Stack seems good value.

I have one and it is really well made and has some nice UI libraries available to make dashboards a bit easier to create. You can even programme it using blockly if you like or Python.

1 Like

.....Why?

The main network is (as I am sure you can guess) headless.

I need something to display the state of the nation to me.

Not too complicated, but not too simple.

If something "spits the dummy" I need to know.

Basic lists of events.

Weather data. Time/date.

Rather than having a monitor on 24/7 this is a low cost option I am wanting to explore so I don't need to boot the computer, connect to the RPI and see what is happening.

1 Like

Hello @Trying_to_learn,
I personally wanted to do the same and i used a M5stack CORE2 (which is an ESP with a touchscreen, speaker, a small battery, 3 touch buttons and some sensors).
I use it with an addon board that adds 10 RGB LEDs, a bigger battery and some I/O Ports

It can be programmed either graphically using the blockly-like UIflow service or using Arduino IDE for advanced use
I use it as a control and status unit for one room, as it can communicate using MQTT, it can be used with NR.
In my setup, it looks like this:

The buttons with red numbers trigger an event in NR, the <-> Button switches between 3 pages of buttons and one text page.
The RGB Bars (addon module, not included) are synced with my Phillips hue lights so when i turn them on, the RGB Bar uses the (almost) some color and brightness (all of this is done in NR or in my custom program, whithout software, this can't do anything)

It takes some time to initially set it up (program it) but after that, it is really good to see important status values without booting a PC or using the dashboard.

The display can also be turned off in the program and you can set the brightness (the image is on full 100% brightness)
Best Regards
Aaron

1 Like

I use a shortcut to the dashboard on my phone for quick access to the control system.

1 Like

I use this too but sometimes, when there is e.g an error on one of my sensors, i need to see it almost instantly, as some errors occur for only ~2 seconds and then disappear...

Another possibility, in one room I have an old Android tablet that defaults to showing the dashboard.

1 Like