Water pressure sensor for central heating

Sorry, no, I use entirely wifi (and zigbee) for such things and have had very few problems with that.

1 Like

I would suggest to focus on one micro family ... The pico is cool (if you are able to buy one).

As Dave (EEVBlog) once said: There is not such thing as a bad micro. You only have to choose the right micro for your project.

I love the ESP family as it provides a scale able range of models ... Hardware | Espressif Systems

and great support from board manufactures and software. The even announced a zigbee and thread model of there ESP32 the ESP32-H2 Announcing ESP32-H2, an IEEE 802.15.4 + Bluetooth 5 (LE) RISC-V SoC | Espressif Systems. Think about native DIY zigbee or homekit devices.

So it is beneficial to choose your platform and stay on it as long as possible. The gained knowledge and code is then easy to "upgrade".

I tipped my toes into the STM32 platform and loved it in a way. But the community around the ESPs is in general bigger and open for thinkers like us where the STM32 is more "professional" (with all the habits against us being unprofessional kids)

2 Likes

Here's a copy of the project I'm working on for my hybrid car. It wakes up every hour, takes a reading of the car's auxillary battery voltage, sends it via a remote MQTT broker then goes back to sleep. I've programmed it using C++ to select a WiFi network from a list which means you could use it in different places.
I reckon it could be adapted for your situation. It also includes a DS18B20 - temperature sensor.

Schematic_Car battery monitor_2022-01-29.pdf (47.1 KB)

EDIT: There is an option in my design/PCB (using a jumper) to only send a reading if it is below a certain threshold, thereby saving power by not switching on WiFi (which takes the most current 140mA). That option could be used in your situation as I think you only wanted to know if the pressure was incorrect.

1 Like

I looked in this topic some years ago and asked a question on Stack Exchange: image recognition - Reading a value of a real gauge - Artificial Intelligence Stack Exchange

My assumption was, that reading a simple value of a gauge should be feasible with a Raspberry Pi or cheaper hardware, some software and little configuration. But it seems we are deep in AI here.

I'm still interested in a noninvasive solution for reading analog Gauges without installing sensors. Of course postprocessing is done with NodeRED! Ideas are welcome.

Hi @wolfred,
That is indeed a very interesting approach. Can you please create a new discussion about it, because it is a completely other approach. Then I will meet you over there :wink:

ok, @BartButenaers, done. Thank your for your image :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.