A new node that fascinates me

Hi folks,

From time to time I discover a new node that draws my attention. I discovered last week the node-red-contrib-msg-tracer node, which I find very fascinating ...

Reason for my interest: a couple of years ago I wanted to develop a flow debugger node. However there was already a flow debugger item on the trello whiteboard, and a old stale debugger branch on Github. Therefore I have never started developing, because it seemed to me that this was destined to become core functionality (in a far future)...

But seems the developer of the node-red-contrib-msg-tracer has managed to implement some kind of flow debugging. I had no look at the code yet, so not sure if he had to use dirty (unsupported) hacks to get the job done ...

Is there anybody who has used it, and does anybody have thoughts about it?
Very curious to hear opinions about this node ...

Bart

1 Like

Well, there is simply no way they will have been able to implement that without using lots of internal APIs that will be changing release to release. They must realise that, so have either decided to take on the maintenance burden of keeping it working release to release as we change internals, or it gets abandoned as soon as we get the pluggable message routing feature done.

Adding it to the long list of missed opportunities to get effort directed at helping deliver the backlog, rather than just waiting for me to write the code.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.