[ANNOUNCE] node-red-contrib-msg-speed 2.0.0 - request for testers

Hi folks,

Trying to finalize some old stuff which was nearly finished already ...

Version 2.0.0 of the speed node is available on Github with following changes:

1. It is now possible to pause, resume and reset speed calculations via control messages. See explanation on the readme page.

2. There is a checkbox on the config screen to start (optionally) in paused mode:

3. The core functionality (ring buffer and speed calculations) have been extracted in a separated npm library, as described in another discussion.

I have tried to avoid breaking changes, but it was a huge change to extract the functionality in a separate NPM package. Therefore it would be nice if some users could test it, and let me know if it still works fine!

You can install the Github version from with your .node-red folder:

npm install bartbutenaers/node-red-contrib-msg-speed

Thanks !!
Bart

2 Likes

First time ever installed and that went smoothly, (directly to my running home automation server, the thing I usually avoid to do) and now I know the rate of flowing messages where I was really lazy to figure that out by doing math or coding by myself :slight_smile:
The rate is OK and the node is OK :slight_smile:
Thanks @BartButenaers.

1 Like

Being unsure what this node would tell me I gave it a quick test and the only thing I can say is that I find "speed" to be a misnomer and suggest "rate" instead.

Hi Steve,
That would indeed have been a better name. Unfortunately this node is already about 3 years old, and being used in a lot of flows. So I cannot rename it anymore.
P.S the version 1.0.0 might be misleading that it is a new node, but there have been a series of 0.x.y versions in the past (which wasn't the best idea...).
Bart

1 Like

I get it.

1 Like

Version 2.0.0 is published on NPM: