Last month I announced the first beta of my new node-red-contrib-xterm node, which integrated a terminal window inside a custom node. That terminal window allowed users to execute command line commands, via your flow editor.
But Steve (@shrickus) suggested that this terminal window should have been inside the flow editor sidebar, instead of in a node's config screen. Very good proposal, but writing my first sidebar node became a hell of a job. Since I had to start from scratch again ( ), I have started this new discussion to avoid users becoming confused with the first beta ...
So LOTS of changes:
- The terminal window is now inside a sidebar tabsheet.
- You can manually start / stop / clean the terminal via buttons.
- All kind of server side information and errors are now also displayed inside the terminal window.
- It should run on macOS, Linux and Windows. I have only tested it on Windows and Raspbian, so would be nice if somebody could test it on macOS!
- The look-and-feel of the terminal window is customizable.
- Your favorite commands can be stored in Terminal Input nodes.
- Critical commands can be secured with a confirmation dialog.
- It is possible to store a sequence of multiple commands, to store your own scripts.
- Pre-build libraries are included (for the pseudo terminal code) for a number of systems, to avoid headache during installation.
You can install it directly from my Github repository, since it is not published on NPM yet:
npm install bartbutenaers/node-red-contrib-xterm
First demo to show how the sidebar tabsheet works:
And a second demo to show how you can use Terminal Input nodes to store your favorite commands in your Node-RED flow:
More demo's are available on my Github repository (link above).
As usual all 'constructive' feedback is more than welcome!
Hope you like this node as much as I do ...