Asking for help with public MQTT brokers - which one?

I'll mark this as the solution only to finalise things.

Sorry, but...

I've heard it is more:

If it ain't broken: Fix it until it is!

:wink:

1 Like

that may indeed be how our philosophies differ... :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah, sorry... I just though it would be a good giggle on how different people deal with problems.

1 Like

I think the thing about ZeroTier that you’re failing to understand is that the IP address that ZT provides is a GLOBAL IP, not one that’s local to your network.
Effectively, ZT provides a DDNS facility which takes care of public IP address changes.

Your local MQTT broker will have two IP addresses, its local one - which you use for the local connections so that they can be resolved regardless of the internet connection status - and it’s ZT virtual global IP address.
You would use this virtual global IP for your external devices.
Obviously if the uplink of the external device is down then the device wouldn’t be able to talk to either your MQTT server on your home network via ZT or any other cloud based MQTT server.

If your home internet connection is down then only the devices internal to your home network will continue to work, as the external device(s) won’t be able to talk to your home MQTT broker via the ZT global network.

ZT has lots of other uses too, such as simplify remote access to your Node-Red or MQTT server, or even Windows remote access to your home PC (much faster and better than TeamViewer).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.