Best notification app on android?

Thanks, its a good overview and a place to investigate with my browser.

I came here looking for the same answer but then after reading this thread I've realised that Telegram is already the perfect option here.

I've already got telegram setup to do other stuff so it's makes perfect sense to use it is an android notification tool.

Agree Telegram is very good solution. It just didn't meet my needs because of the requirement to be tied to a phone number, and that's what led me to Discord.

I'm surprised Pushover is mentioned only once on this thread. I've been using it for years and it's near immediate fast, doesn't waste resources on my devices, supports iOS, multiple receivers/receiver groups and is focused for the purpose. What I really like about it is that you can set a priority for the notification which can mean overriding the sound settings on the receiving device or being silent if not urgent.

For critical notifications there's also a special priority level which will cause notification to retrigger with a specific interval until it's acknowledged by one of the receivers. I'm not sure though if any of the existing Node-RED nodes for Pushover support this feature(?).

5 Likes

Ristomatti, I agree with you, Pushover is also my notification app of choice.
It's easy to set up, reliable, fast, secure and yes node-red-node-pushover does support various priority levels which are really useful, including priority level 2 (Emergency Priority).

4 Likes

Did it support receiving the acknowledgement of an emergency prio notification? I guess it would be simple to setup using standard nodes though.

There is no feedback to node-RED, but the main difference between lower levels & priority level 2 (Emergency Priority) is that when the message is received, it also displays an "acknowledge" link.
If you ignore the message, the phone will continually sound the audible alert until you acknowledge the link, which is great for important messages, especially if you are away from your phone when the message arrives.
Also, the message background is red.

1 Like

Yes. I encourage you to look into the acknowledgement feedback. It could for example be used to disarm an alarm siren or stuff like that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I could see that being very useful :+1:

https://pushover.net/api/receipts

We just need some talented/helpful/forward thinking contributor to add the feature to node-red-node-pushover ...
Any volunteers???

2 Likes

This could be a fun contribution to do when I some day will regain my inspiration to hacking stuff. I've implemented this in the past using chump node module which is different than pushover-notificafions used by node-red-node-pushover. It unfortunately hasn't been updated in 3 years but it has support for receipts.

So this would not be very straightforward change to do unfortunately. Either the wrapped node library would need to be replaced, the feature contributed to pushover-notifications with the hope of getting it updated or by implementing the functionality manually.

There's another issue with node-red-node-pushover that kind of bugs me - the fact it doesn't use a config node so the API key needs to be manually added even after copying the node as it disappears...

1 Like

I've made a start, and got a working POC, to update the existing node-red-node-pushover node.

pushover

pushover result

It still needs more work, but hopefully I'll have something for us to review in the forum soon, before maybe progressing to a PR.

3 Likes

I created a new thread to discuss the proposed changes to the pushover node - Discussion: update `node-red-node-pushover`
Comments welcome :wink:

I use Pushover for Alarm System which sends alarm and info notifications, you pay the 5usd per device, you can set up groups and forward or include other users outside your account in the 50k messages you get per month, reason I like it is 100% availablity and speed no more than 2 seconds on 4g network both on iOS and Android.

Correction: it's not per device but per Google account.

1 Like

$5 per month? year? one time charge?

1 Like

I've been using Pushover since 2014, the best $5 that I've spent!!
I'm using it regularly every day, and it's never let me down (so far :wink:)

4 Likes

I've been using Telegram since 2016, the best $0 that I've spent!!
I'm using it regularly every day, and it's never let me down (so far :wink:)

:joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

But you need a degree in bots and a 3 week training course to understand how to set it up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, Telegram is much too hard for my simple brain :thinking:

2 Likes