I am using Telegram already a couple of years, to allow my Node-RED system to send notifications to my Android smartphone. And although Telegram works very good, I have always wanted to have a 100% Node-RED solution (without the need for third party apps).
However the Node-RED dashboard is not a native app, but it is a web app. So instead of native notifications, I needed to add web push notifications to the dashboard. The development of this UI node has become a real struggle, with following history:
- The first beta version didn't feel right to me. Fortunately I got very good practical advice from Maxim Salnikov, and after a Skype session I had a lot of homework
- The second beta was almost started from scratch, but the result was more stable and more straightforward to use. And the second Skype session went much smoother, with less homework.
- The third beta is what we will discuss below ...
You can find the documentation and examples on my Github repository:
Since it is not published on NPM yet, you will have to install it directly from my Github repository:
npm install bartbutenaers/node-red-contrib-ui-web-push
CAUTION There are some prerequisites:
- You need to use the Node-RED dashboard in your setup
- You need to use a browser that supports notifications (not Safari on iOs!)
- You need to use https with a trusted certificate (e.g. Letsencrypt)
- You need to install Maxim's node-red-contrib-web-push nodes
Then you can start sending notifications to your devices!
As soon as you click a notification, the dashboard will automatically open. And you can also add images to the notifications, or even buttons (which can send triggers to your Node-RED flow to control your devices)!
As usual 'constructive' feedback is very welcome!
Have fun with it!