BUG: Write file/Read file nodes labelled incorrectly

The newly renamed write file/read file nodes are still referred-to by their old name in the help section.

Also, how do I pass a filename to the read/write nodes? I tried using msg.payload, but it didn't work

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Dax.

Leave the Filename field empty and pass in msg.filename.

What version of Node-RED are you using?

FYI this is in NR 2.1.6

Oh! And while you're at it, I found another instance in the autocomplete:

Yep, me too, 2.1.6.

Ahh, thank you very much @jbudd. @knolleary, could you please add that information to the help section? I'd have had no idea otherwise, though I did look in the help item.

Ahhh! Maybe it would be best to add this as the light grey hint text inside the textbox??

@daxliniere I have raised an issue to cover the incorrect labelling of the node in the help sidebar.

As for the help text... the help text for both file nodes does tell you it access msg.filename in order to set the filename:

Awesome. :slight_smile:

I know that I'm a NR noob, but what I find confusing is that I feel like the terminology changes in different parts of the interface. Sometimes there are references to msg.xyz, other times just as xyz
Perhaps it's just that I've missed the right-aligned text because I didn't know that it implied that it meant msg.xyz. With that new knowledge, I'll keep an eye out for specific examples of that. (Maybe I will find none :slight_smile: )

In reply to this specific instance, I feel it's impossible to know if filename is just the name of a file (static) or some kind of variable. I'm pretty sure that I've seen other textbox hints that said things like msg.filename.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.