Connecting Node-RED to an Omron PLC

Hi,

I am new to learn Node-RED and its features. I want to connect an Omron PLC to it to make some tests. Could you guys tell me what node to use? The communication should be established throught an Ethernet/IP port.

Thanks in advance
Dhiaa

A list of all the easily installable nodes for Node-RED is available here:
http://flows.nodered.org (edited to correct url)

Thank you for replying, still the link is broken bro.

oops https://flows.nodered.org/?num_pages=1

1 Like

Unfortunately there don’t appear to be any omron related nodes.

Does the omron support OpenPLC? If so then this may be useful. https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-openplc

1 Like

Actually I have no idea if Omron supports OpenPLC or not. How would man know if it does?

What is your PLC model?

Google might possibly help.

Hello

I've never used the node red, with plc omron .... but ethernet / ip is owned by Rockwell / Allen Bradley. What I can suggest is try to use the pccc knot, developed for rockwell plc.

if you are using the new ranges of the Omron NX1 / 5/7, NJ 1/3/5 ... I think these plc have the integrated OPC UA and it is of tassel, you do not have to buy the license.
but I'm not sure you have to confirm. With OPC UA you can communicate directly ..

@Cristiano
Thank you for replying. You're right. My PLC is Omron NJ501-1400 and it does support OPC UA.

Hello

Problem solved ?

Hi @Cristiano

Since I am new to Node Red, I am trying to make the communication works. I am sure now that OPC UA node is the right now, but I am trying to figure out how to configure it right.

i am trying to communicate with rockwell plc compact logix model using pccc node. The node status is online but am not getting any values in debug. can u help on how to give addressing to read variables

Try this one: https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red-contrib-cip-ethernet-ip it's much easier, just point the IP address of your PLC and give the name of the tag. It simply works

1 Like

machadotiago,
I installed both the PCCC and cip-ethernet-ip in Node-Red. I have a Micrologix 1400 for a test and have had little luck with PCCC, Would it work with an SLC5/05? It reads N7:0 as a 0, and even if it's not. then it errors out eventually. I've had no luck with the cip-ethernet-ip. There is only a little bit of information and nothing on error codes from the nodes.
Can you advise if cip-ethernet-ip is at all compatible with Micrologix or SLC/05 processors, PCCC is supposed to be for that family processors. I would also like to know if there is a configuration problem and how to resolve that. I have not tried the cip-ethernet-ip with control logix or compactlogix controllers or with RSLinx.

Please help if you can.

The easiest way I think, is to use the EtherNet/IP node.
Whats happens if you configure the node with the PLC IP address and let the variables list empty? If your network is correctly configured the node should show the PLC as "connected" in the status text.

Isn't this omron PLC modbus TCP? There are plenty of no dread modules that incorporate modbus TCP just find a non register using your programming interface and just validate the number you are getting from the programming interface for the register, coil or whatever and then you're good to go.

Hey, followed this conversation. I do have same issue with Rockwell Micro850. Can not connect after trying (yellow "connecting" status). I do get the "time-out message. Ip-adres is ok, ip port 4 is required as indicated within standard rockwell documentation (micro850 uses standard Ip port 4). Slot is set to 0. how/where can i configure the TCP/IP port setting?
thx in advance

You can communicate with any PLC providing you send a packet it understands but this means writing your own nodes. I suggest using a OPC server with an appropriate driver and then use the IIoT library to read the OPC server addresses.

Hi machadotiago, do you have any video tutorial linking an OMRON PLC to node red using these nodes? I'm using the NX1P2 PLC and also the MQTT in node. I'm not sure how to establish a proper connection with the PLC. Each time I connect the PLC to my laptop via ethernet, it shows connecting under the node and turns to offline.