Create a jpeg from camera snapshot URL - not working

Hi,

I have a foscam camera that provides a screenshot via the following url,

http://192.168.1.170/cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=myusername&pwd=mypassword

this then feeds into the following function which then goes into an email node. (I found this on the old google group forum, so it’s not something I have built myself)

[{"id":"24bd4c05.ab64a4","type":"change","z":"7141ede8.f151a4","name":"Flow 4 : Setup mail content","rules":[{"t":"set","p":"attachments","pt":"msg","to":"[{\t    \"filename\": 'camera_snapshot.jpg', \t    \"path\": '/tmp/local_image.jpg',\t    \"content\": $$.payload\t}]","tot":"jsonata"},{"t":"set","p":"topic","pt":"msg","to":"Result flow 4","tot":"str"},{"t":"set","p":"payload","pt":"msg","to":"Dear,<br><br>Your PIR detector has detected movement in the living room.<br>In attachment you can find the file that was locally stored.<br><br>Kind regards,<br>Your Node-Red flow","tot":"str"}],"action":"","property":"","from":"","to":"","reg":false,"x":760,"y":480,"wires":[["8cde2b21.2ff708"]]}]

The problem I have is that the email created has a jpg file attached but it is not visible.when I try to open it.

Any ideas,

0 Likes

add debug nodes along the flow and check that the message being passed between the nodes looks correct.

Try saving the image using the file-out node, You really need to work out where along the flow it isn't working

0 Likes

Hi,

My flow has a debug, and it also tries to write the file to a local store too, which I can see in the directory - but when I try to open that - it does not open to something I can see.

Within one program i tried - I just get an exclamation mark come up, no other message.

It seems to create a file, of about 128kb; with a jpg extension but it’s it’s not something I can open/see.

Here is the flow..

The debug create a string something like the following.
To save space just the first part is provided below.

����JFIF��� ' .)10.)-,3:J>36F7,-@WAFLNRSR2>ZaZP`JQRO&&O5-5OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO&&O5-5OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

0 Likes

Did you set the return value of the http request to "a binary buffer"?

0 Likes

That did it !! Thanks @moebius

It works great now.

What does that binary buffer option do ?

0 Likes

It tells it to leave it as the raw binary data rather than trying, for example, to convert it to a string.

0 Likes