Credentials for "function" node

Hello,

I've implemented a new functionality for "function" node for configuring a single pair of credentials and make them available for use in function's code. It's based on already available credentials framework for node development, really a simple patch.
What's your opinion, will this be a valuable addition and should I open a PR for it?

Hi,
What do you mean by that ?
Password type credentials are not readable by the editor. If you bypass this, you leave the editor vulnerable.

@dpslavov a screenshot might help demonstrate what you are proposing.

In general, we have various other ways to make credentials available to a node. For example, you can add an env var at the Group, Subflow or Flow level that is stored as a credential:

The node can then just use env.get('my secret') to retrieve the value.

Hi,

You are confusing code with editor. What I mean is that node object has new property credentials which you can use in your code like this:

const username = node.credentials.username;
const password = node.credentials.password;

In this way you don't have to have plaintext passwords in your flow.

@knolleary Here are some screenshots:

To be honest I didn't knew that environment variables can be stored as secrets, if I knew that probably I wouldn't implement this patch...

Although I don't think this is a bad idea, what if you need more than 1 credential ?
Note that there is a dedicated node available for influx.

Node's credentials implementation isn't well suited for multiple records. Of course it isn't impossible to to implement such thing but I preferred clean implementation and easy of use over functionality.
Yes, I'm aware that several InfluxDB contrib nodes do exists.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.