Date format in exec node

Good afternoon

I don't know why but after my latest update I have an issue with the exec node I'm using in order to get some data.

The most simple is running just the command "date", previously was working fine and if I test on a raspberry console returns me "mi� jul 4 19:58:07 CEST 2018" frankly speaking the part of "mi�" es new, never had this before-
If I get the out of the exec node in node red with a debug I get:

Previously was running fine and on the other raspberry that I have for testing purposes it returns me directly the date/time as expected which I can directly pull to a text node.

How can I fix this? I guess there is some change done on the exec node at some point right?

Thanks in advance

Which output of the exec node is that on? Can you export the exec node and paste it here.

very strange...... as example one of the 3, the most simple

[{"id":"5d519dd4.aaf954","type":"inject","z":"38ad6844.92e088","name":"","topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","repeat":"60","crontab":"","once":true,"x":273,"y":1489,"wires":[["b4a5ebb1.096c08"]]},{"id":"b4a5ebb1.096c08","type":"exec","z":"38ad6844.92e088","command":"date ","addpay":false,"append":"","useSpawn":"false","timer":"","oldrc":true,"name":"","x":553,"y":1489,"wires":[["b0503f8f.af7e2","641e44a.e8144bc"],[],[]]},{"id":"641e44a.e8144bc","type":"debug","z":"38ad6844.92e088","name":"","active":false,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"false","x":830,"y":1500,"wires":[]},{"id":"b0503f8f.af7e2","type":"ui_text","z":"38ad6844.92e088","group":"6977e773.ba2438","order":1,"width":0,"height":0,"name":"","label":"Fecha","format":"{{msg.payload}}","layout":"row-spread","x":936,"y":1478,"wires":[]},{"id":"6977e773.ba2438","type":"ui_group","z":"","name":"system","tab":"5f054619.865f78","order":2,"disp":true,"width":"7","collapse":false},{"id":"5f054619.865f78","type":"ui_tab","z":"","name":"SYSTEM","icon":"fa-cog","order":11}]

Exactly the same flow on a previous raspi returns me as expected on debug image

Running the command in a console does not gives me the "mi�"

So it isn’t the flow it is something about the pi. Have you updated using the bash <curl script? If so post the node red log on restart and on clicking the button.
You posted a flow with a text node attached, but presumably you are seeing the problem in the debug node. Previously you posted some debug showing a buffer but it shouldn’t be a buffer it should be a string. I am wondering about the version of node.js which is why I would like to see the log.

Yes the buffer shown is from the debug, but is displayed similar on the text node, I will cross check my node.js version and will post, the latest raspbian does not has pre-installed node-red however all the rest of my flows are working fine, and I have a lot of stuff…

I installed from 0 using curl script yes.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ node -v
v8.11.3

That’s ok. Can you post the log then.

I don't have any error, the point is that the exec node returns me this buffer instead of the expected string with the date as I see if I run the command on a console, so on dashboard shows me the buffer

I don't understand why...

Oh, sorry, I missed the fact that it shows the wrong thing in the console. Nothing to do with node-red then, but an issue with the pi. You haven’t got a funny language setup accidentally have you? Something like that.

Run sudo raspi-config and check the localisation options.

Before posting I had already ran raspy-config and checked my locales and all apparently was ok, also rebooted with no success, maybe is linked to that odd "mi�”, I will try to google it a bit more.

I don’t know what u mean about funny lang, I think not in this case.

Thanks anyway colin

The exec node does look to see if the response is a UTF8 string and if so returns a string - and if not sends it as-is which will be a buffer. So maybe Wed(nesday) in your locale has an accent that makes it not UTF8 ?
You can always use a following function node to .toString() it forcibly if you wish.

bravo dceejay!!! You are the one, curiously I had already checked but when you told abouit the accent… make me think about it, and yes, doing sudo raspi-config I configured the locales for sudo that is not the user that runs node-red…

I had to enable VNC and graphical again and change it from desktop to be able to change the locale of pi and now is solved.

Thanks a lot guys