Development tools?

Can you please share a bit more info, how to do that?
1.0.) Visual Studio 2017 is running on my Win7 laptop
1.1.) Installed Node.js development tool
1.2) Have a local copy of the code of all files.

2.) Node-RED is running on the Raspberryi Pi (debian latest, no desktop, openhabian based)

What's next? How do I remote-debug?

Ah, that's a very different environment than I've worked in, and I don't think that will be possible. The Visual Studio remote debugging tools are primarily for Windows-based apps (see Remote Debugging).

You might need to take a different approach, e.g. using GDB in remote target mode, although it's a bit more "low-level" as a debugging tool (e.g. LINUX ā€“ REMOTE DEBUGGING WITH GDB).

errr - no - you just need to add in the Remote Explorer plugin and then you can point it at an ssh session on your Pi. Many online docs to help - including Developing on Remote Machines using SSH and Visual Studio Code and Remote development on a raspberry pi with ssh and VSCode | by Klaas (khz) | Medium

3 Likes

@dceejay Thanks! Will look into it.
Although I'm not using the "VS Code", but the "big one": VS2017 community edition.
I only find everywhere "how to do" topics only for "VS Code", that's why I'm asking here.
Also the plugin for VSCode is marked as deprecated! Why?

I meant this one - Remote Development - Visual Studio Marketplace which doesn't look deprecated to me - but yes it's all in VS-code

1 Like

Excellent information! You learn something new every day here :slight_smile:

1 Like

VScode is definitely where it is at for JavaScript, Python and other scripting languages. The remote coding extensions are now excellent (they were very buggy to begin with) and I use them now for coding direct on my home server, no more WinSCP! You can use them for coding inside containers as well.

Git and GitHub integration is excellent as is npm.

Microsoft are even building Jupyter Notebook integration into it and using it for their next-generation data explorer tool.

2 Likes

TotallyInformation, thanks for hint.

I just successfully tested remote coding on Amazon aws-EC2.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.