Docker won't start after settings.json changes

I was trying to enable HTTPS on the container and didn't realize that the container couldn't access the host file system. Noob mistake and still learning docker. I am trying to copy the files from container to the host and back, but I can't determine the directory structure.

I have tried sudo docker cp dockerid:/data/settings.js but it says not found is there something I am missing or is the folder structure different?

Thanks,
Dereck

Actually it's a separate filesystem. The container is "self contained" and can't "see" the host's filesystem at all by default. You need to tell Docker to map a part of the host's filesystem into the container and you do that by adding a --volume or --mount to the "docker run" command you're using. For example, here's one I use:

-v /data/node-red:/data

This tells Docker to map the host's "/data/node-red" path to the container's "/data" path. Then you can go to your host's "/data/node-red" directory and see the same files as the container has in it's "/data" directory, and vice versa.

Losinit,

I was able to get it working by editing /var/lib/docker/volumes/node-red/_data/settings.js. I had to disable HTTPS and exclude the certificates that I was trying to do. I had created a let's encrypt ssl in the host and copied the files to /data/fullchain.pem and /data/privkey.pem but for some reason says file cannot be found when docker tries to start.

Thank you for the quick response now to get the next part solved.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.