Downloading node issues

Any one come across these errors before and wish to help out or guide in right direction.
Greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
npm ERR! Linux 4.4.105-cip15
npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "node-red-contrib-counter "
npm ERR! node v6.12.3
npm ERR! npm v3.10.10
npm ERR! code EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! errno EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! syscall getaddrinfo

npm ERR! getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN registry.npmjs.org:443
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR! https://github.com/npm/npm/issues

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/root/npm-debug.log
root@iot2000:~# node-red-contrib-cip-ethernet-ip
-sh: node-red-contrib-cip-ethernet-ip: command not found
root@iot2000:~# npm install node-red-contrib-cip-ethernet-ip
npm ERR! Linux 4.4.105-cip15
npm ERR! argv "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/bin/npm" "install" "node-red-contrib-cip-eth ernet-ip"
npm ERR! node v6.12.3
npm ERR! npm v3.10.10
npm ERR! code EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! errno EAI_AGAIN
npm ERR! syscall getaddrinfo

npm ERR! getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN registry.npmjs.org:443
npm ERR!
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this error at:
npm ERR! https://github.com/npm/npm/issues

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! /home/root/npm-debug.log

EAI_AGAIN is a dns lookup error I believe, is the device able to lookup that address? Try
ping registry.npmjs.org
from the device and see if that works.

I tried to ping "registry.npmls.org" from putty/iot and got no response but am able to ping from my desktop cmd.

That is likely the problem then. The device does is not able to lookup that address.

I'm thinking is there something blocking my iot from accessing external info through my network. I.t issue.

It is probably not the access to the internet that is the problem but that DNS is not working. DNS is the mechanism by which a device looks up the ip address of a domain name (such as the npm registry). First try
ping 8.8.8.8
If that works then you have basic connectivity. Then you must find how (or if) the device performs DNS lookup. You haven't told us anything about the device so we can't help there.

Sorry Colin, I'm using a Siemens ioT 2020. Running it with node red a simple program when a push button is pressed it com ts in the debug screen.
I'm new to node red and this is my first time using the ioT 2020. I'm a little green to computer set ups only following the instructions I find on line.

Is this in work? If it is it is standard for there to be network segregation which would restrict access to the internet.

I'm running it from my own desktop at home and giving me same errors. I have brought home a brand new ioT 2020 to start from fresh but still getting no where.

In that case it’s more of a IoT2020 issue rather than a Node-RED issue. You are probably more likely to gain an answer on the siemens support forum. Sorry!

Ok thanks for your help

Looks like that device defaults to a static ip addr, without internet access.

Here is a link to the linux commands to enable DNS lookups on your device... I have not tried them, but I hope it helps.

Thank you I'll give it a shot

Hello, check this:

https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/ww/en/posts/require-node-update-and-help-with-opc-ua/200574/?page=0&pageSize=10