Dynamically Enable/Disable WebSocket node

Hi there,

I have a websocket node that connects to a server but I only want to initiate the connection, i.e. "enable" the node based on some conditions. The reason is that the server sends back data only on new connection (e.g. connected --> here's your data --> disconnect).

Is there a way to "control" the node's behaviour like this? Similarly we have nodes that observes other nodes' behaviours such as Catch, Status, Complete, maybe there's nodes that controls other nodes?

Thanks

Hello .. i think the core Websocket nodes connect and stay connected and i didnt see a way to force a disconnect.

You could load the ws library using the functionExternalModules option in a Function node as a workaround in order to have better control.

I dont know much about websockets but here's a flow to demostrate it using an online open test server.
(in this example when a msg with the expected data is received .. we force a disconnect )

[{"id":"6ff8ddd581cb52e0","type":"function","z":"54efb553244c241f","name":"","func":"const ws = new WebSocket('wss://demo.piesocket.com/v3/channel_1?api_key=oCdCMcMPQpbvNjUIzqtvF1d2X2okWpDQj4AwARJuAgtjhzKxVEjQU6IdCjwm&notify_self');\nnode.status({ fill: \"green\", shape: \"dot\", text: \"Connected\" });\n// ws.onopen = function () {\n//     console.log('WebSocket Client Connected');\n//     ws.send('Hi this is web client.');\n// };\nws.onmessage = function (e) {\n  node.warn({ payload: e.data });\n\n  if (e.data.startsWith(\"cpu\")) {\n    node.warn(\"Msg received. Closing Websocket\");\n    node.status({ fill: \"red\", shape: \"dot\", text: \"Disconnected\" });\n    ws.close();\n  }\n\n};\n\n","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","libs":[{"var":"WebSocket","module":"ws"}],"x":470,"y":1120,"wires":[["a0a621998adc2697"]]},{"id":"98c5874423d2fd40","type":"inject","z":"54efb553244c241f","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","x":300,"y":1120,"wires":[["6ff8ddd581cb52e0"]]},{"id":"a0a621998adc2697","type":"debug","z":"54efb553244c241f","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"false","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":650,"y":1120,"wires":[]}]

ps. you can read how to setup functionExternalModules here

That's possible, although it'd go against the low-code paradigm. I think having a "Control" node to enable/disable other nodes would be generally more beneficial.

For example, there are lots of "in" nodes that don't have a trigger or input, with "Control" node, we will be able to turn those into nodes that can be triggered.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.