Feature list of Node-RED version 2

Is there a list of features for the upcoming Node-RED version 2? Release date?

Fingers crossed that debugging will be one of the features .. cause we're suffering :see_no_evil:

Hi @rko

the imminent 2.0 release is not full of new features. It is a release that drops support for some major versions of Node.js. There are a small number of other changes that might need some migration in very specific cases.

This is the project board for the release: Node-RED 2.0 Planning · GitHub

We hope to have a beta available by the end of the month.

Fingers crossed that debugging will be one of the features .. cause we're suffering

I don't recall any feedback on specific issues in this area from you. Any hints as to what you'd be hoping for? As I said, the 2.0 won't have any major functional additions, but there's plenty to come after that.

1 Like

Hi @knolleary

Thanks for the link and your feedback (somehow, I could not find the board through a search).

Regarding debugging / testing: Our latest project for a customer turned out to be rather complex and it took a huge amount of time to resolve a major bug in our flow. We are still not hundred percent sure why it occurred, and it is not completely fixed. I believe that we are struggling with the asynchronous nature of node-red. The bug occurs only in rare cases and that makes it extra difficult to observe.

A debugger with the ability to add conditions when to "halt the flow", would have helped us to analyse the problem much faster, I think. Also being able to see where all the messages are and what state our context is in, would be very helpful.

Hi @rko,
Could it be that you have misinterpreted this blog on FlowForge, where the 2.0 and the flow debugger are mentioned in a single sentence:

In the short term, this means helping to accelerate the plans already in place for the Open Source project. Getting the 2.0 release done in the next few weeks, working on long-standing features such as the Test framework and Flow Debugger.

But notice that there is a comma , in between :wink:

Hehe good one @BartButenaers, but no, I did not read this article.

However, we do believe that a debug feature would be a real booster. Until then we have to write some stuff directly in node js or "worse", in C++ (maybe Rust, who knows).

Hi,

Please try 'msg tracer' for pretty good debugging. It will also let you set breakpoints as well as step through the flow 'line by line'. I use it and it works well.

Cheers,
Paul

@paulkeates Paul could you provide some detail like what ‘msg tracer’ is? Is it something in node.is? A node module? An app of some sort that runs on platform xxxxx?

Remember people come from various backgrounds and may use different platforms so we all should not assume everyone is familiar with the things that are second nature to ourselves.

Thanks!

Hi,

Like always you can search for a Node-RED npm package using 'Manage Palette'.

Click on it for install or do it from the command line via: npm install node-red-contrib-msg-tracer

Cheers,

Paul

2 Likes

Dear @paulkeates, thanks for the hint - we might have a look at the tracer. But to be honest, a node which has not been updated for more than a year, no ratings, little downloads etc. doesn't look very promising to me.

Edit: Maybe I was a bit too quick with my first comment. The msg tracer can indeed help to analyse a flow. We will definitely give it a shot. Thanks @paulkeates

Hi,

I understand and use the same metrics to judge the value of nodes as well. I was a bit skeptical but after using the msg tracer node it really worked and saved me lots of aggravations. I know that there is a risk with the internal Node-RED APIs changing and breaking something with a tool as integrated as a debug /trace utility but it works for me and I'm on the latest version (1.3.3) of Node-RED.

All of that vs. waiting for some new tool to be written...

I decided that if it broke or causes issues then I'd simply uninstall it. When a better tool is written I'll try that - especially if in the 'base' application.

Cheers,

Paul

That is good to know. How much effort/overhead is involved in using logstash? Or is it really necessary?

I realize that ideally you want this information when the flow has been stopped at a breakpoint, but sometimes a historical trace of the messages can help. The complete node can be useful for this, especially since most of the core nodes have now implemented the done() function.

Hi,

I don't use logstash at all; I believe it is completely secondary and can be used if you want to do extensive log mining. The Node-RED web UI displays all the data I've needed: a step-by-step trace, the ability to add / remove breakpoints etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.