Fuel Tank Level

this is very interested i will take a look on it. thank you

I neglected to mention, I don't have a Pi running my household NR system. I'm using an Arduino Mega for physical world interfacing, and a $100 mini PC (one of these 32gb Windows10 micro's, wiped Win10 and used Ubuntu server) for NodeRed and MQTT and a few other minor tasks.
I think you're completely correct, though, it could be run straight into NR if using a Pi.

I didn't get pics of my current assembly, but did get some of my original prototype. This one worked fine, I just didn't like the sensor's exposure to diesel. The new sensor from Amazon has a weatherproof face that pops into a drilled hole. I think it was a direct swap electronically.

I installed the sensor in the 1-1/2" PVC threaded cap with huge amounts of hot glue as a base/leveling foundation, put that in a 1-1/2" to 2" bushing/adapter, and added a length of pipe to the bushing with an air relief hole drilled into the top, then screwed the whole assembly into the 2" bunghole. The extra pipe was to concentrate the sonic reflection and isolate any extra reflection from around the tank. With where my tank is installed, the pipe section had to be about half the tank depth in order to be installed, but it may not actually be needed, as it seemed to still report what I think was pretty accurate when the tank was very low.

Edit:
The idea of putting the functional parts in the threaded cap was for modularity. I can build a new sensor on the bench in a new $3 cap, then just unscrew the old and screw in the new one as the only necessary work in the cramped and dirty tank area. No need to sit in place and do any wiring or testing.
Edit2: there's a cloud-based fuel tank monitoring service that does exactly this, almost exactly how I'm doing it, but with all their management electronics connected to 3g/4g modems, and all their product closed/proprietary (but so obvious :smiley: ). I think it's super lame for people that can DIY, but it exists.

3 Likes

yes it is good to know but this kind of sensor i used it before in big water tank but after time it got damaged . so maybe will try to use the same as your way but with try with waterproof sensor
thanks for your info

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.