Get msg.payload from Template's script tag

My template needs to make an AJAX call to an endpoint, and depending on the data that is received, pull different values out of the JSON defined in a Function node. This data is then fed into Formio and so, based on the results of the endpoint, the Form is built with different data.

But I can't seem to get access to msg.payload - whenever I console log out console.log("{{{payload}}}") I get [object Object] as a string, but I just need it as an object.

My Function node which defines payload:

msg.payload = {
  components: [
    {
      label: "label one",
    },
    {
      label: "label two",
    },
  ],
}
return msg

my Template node:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <body>
    <main role="main" class="container">
      <script type="text/javascript">
        // I want to load msg.payload as an object

$.ajax({
          url: "{{{base_url}}}/my_api_path_stuff",
          type: "post",
          contentType: "application/json",
          data: JSON.stringify({}),
          success: function (data) {
            // depending on the results of the data, target a specific element in msg.payload's "components" key
            var component = msg.payload.components[0]
            if (data.required === false) {
              component = msg.payload.components[1]
            }

doStuff(component)
          },
        })
      </script>

<div>my content goes here - it is not dynamic</div>
    </main>
  </body>
</html>

Thank you for your time and help!

var component = msg.payload.components[0]

Did you try

var component = {{{payload.components[0]}}}

instead ?

wait....i am confused.

<script type="text/javascript">
        // I want to load msg.payload as an object
var components = {{{payload.components}}}

It will render out the payload as an array that you can call from your script

I take it we are talking template node and not ui-template.

If you want to import the msg.payload to your script you would convert to a json string.
e.g.

[{"id":"f4bf0844ef7226bb","type":"inject","z":"452103ea51141731","name":"","props":[{"p":"payload"},{"p":"topic","vt":"str"}],"repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","x":140,"y":1820,"wires":[["a8a652954d03f6a0"]]},{"id":"a8a652954d03f6a0","type":"function","z":"452103ea51141731","name":"function 16","func":"msg.payload = {\n  components: [\n    {\n      label: \"label one\",\n    },\n    {\n      label: \"label two\",\n    },\n  ],\n}\nmsg.payload = JSON.stringify(msg.payload)\nreturn msg","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"initialize":"","finalize":"","libs":[],"x":290,"y":1820,"wires":[["4f98bc334c434c5b"]]},{"id":"4f98bc334c434c5b","type":"template","z":"452103ea51141731","name":"","field":"payload","fieldType":"msg","format":"handlebars","syntax":"mustache","template":"<!DOCTYPE html>\n<html>\n  <body>\n    <main role=\"main\" class=\"container\">\n      <script type=\"text/javascript\">\n        // I want to load msg.payload as an object\n        var payload = {{{payload}}}\n        $.ajax({\n          url: \"{{{base_url}}}/my_api_path_stuff\",\n          type: \"post\",\n          contentType: \"application/json\",\n          data: JSON.stringify({}),\n          success: function (data) {\n            // depending on the results of the data, target a specific element in msg.payload's \"components\" key\n            var component = payload.components[0]\n            if (data.required === false) {\n              component = payload.components[1]\n            }\n\n            doStuff(component)\n          },\n        })\n      </script>\n\n      <div>my content goes here - it is not dynamic</div>\n    </main>\n  </body>\n</html>","output":"str","x":440,"y":1820,"wires":[["cf8f27d44c4b0598"]]},{"id":"cf8f27d44c4b0598","type":"debug","z":"452103ea51141731","name":"debug 102","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"payload","targetType":"msg","statusVal":"","statusType":"auto","x":590,"y":1740,"wires":[]}]

p.s. template node does not use [ ] notation, to address an array you would {{{payload.component.0}}}.

p.s. template node does not use notation, to address an array you would {{{payload.component.0}}}.

true, indeed some weird expansion going on there.

Thank you all! Between assigning the {{{payload}}} to a var first and adding a JSON node to convert it to a string, that worked. I swear I tried some combination of this stuff but ... well, you did it!

Lifesavers! Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.