Greenhouse irrigation

How do you know the humidity is not changing over time? Or are those values measured over a period of just a few seconds?

What sensor is it? What is the accuracy spec of that sensor?

1 Like

@Paul-Reed Yes! this morning I've put it in a relatively dry soil after few hours the readings went up to 80% :no_mouth:
@Colin those values were measured each 30 sec I'm using a capacitive soil moisture sensor v1.2.
When the sensor is in the air it gives stable values but when it is in soil the readings are just irrational, I saw someone that covered the edges with nail polish so I'm tinking about doing the same
It will just keep increasing :disappointed:

By comparison, these are my sensor readings which are taken every 60 seconds, scaled and fed into the RC Filter, which in turn creates an output to the PID every 10 minutes;

Reading: 532
Reading: 533
Reading: 534

Just to make sure, is your sensor is exactly this one ?

Yes, it's the same.
Are you taking just a single reading?
I've programmed my ESP to take 10 readings in rapid succession, and then average them before sending them to node-RED, which gives a much more consistent reading.
I also remove any 'out of range' values (minHumidity & maxHumidity).

unsigned int readhumidity(){
  unsigned int numval = 0, tmp = 0;
  sval = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++){
   tmp=analogRead(analogPin);
  Serial.print("analogue read is ");
  Serial.println(tmp);
  if (tmp < minHumidity && tmp > maxHumidity) {
     numval++;
     sval += tmp;
  Serial.print("Sum of humidity reading is ");
  Serial.println(sval);
     }
    delay (10);
  }
  if (numval > 0) {return (sval / numval) * 10;
  Serial.println("No Humidity data to display");
  }
}
2 Likes

I do average them but the raw readings are just choatic and decrease for no reason so I think I'm going to get a new sensor :roll_eyes:

By way of encouragement....
I've just returned from a 3 week trip to Florida, and totally relied upon node-RED to care for my chilis, peppers and tomatoes, and it worked just fine, same as last year.
The soil humidity was about the same as it was when I left, despite the plants being 500mm taller & bushier, and looking very healthy.

My garden is alarmed and secured, so I can't rely upon a neighbour to do the honours, and in previous years I can't tell you how many times I've returned after being away, to find either dead, or dying plants.

It's well worth the effort.

2 Likes

How do you make these curves in vertical baton? With the chart node?

I don't display my data like that any longer, so can't share the code... but,
Using a function node with 2 outputs;
Output 1
I made zero the first value passed as an output, followed almost immediately by the actual chart value. This was fed into the chart node.
Output 2
I made the actual chart value the first output, followed almost immediately by a zero. This was also passed into the same chart node via a delay node set as 1 minute.

So, this resulted in the chart node being fed;
(wait 1 minute)

Which squared off the chart .

In the top chart above that you posted, the delay node is set to a minimum value, and ticked 'enlarge points' in the chart node settings.

OK it's noted .

maybe you could show us the last update of your Dashboard on your smartphone? It could give ideas :slight_smile:

How do you do not display the address bar on your Android dashboard? I have this permanently with Chrome Android:

Because I open the website as an app, which is full screen. Just go to your phone's browser menu and save the site to your phone's desktop.

1 Like

so simple that I had not thought about it !
are not you in wifi? you go through a tunnel? ngrok?

We're moving O/T here, but...
I use Cloudflare's DNS resolver on my mobile devices.

I'm looking forward to getting Cloudflare Warp, but I'm currently applicant number 1,284,841 on the waiting list!

hi
I did the same steps as you but my work does not work well :pensive: ... that I have not used PWM for the pump !!