Hall effect sensor on pi

I have a hall effect sensor for magnetic field.
This runs on an adruino but is it possible to connect it to a pi without the use of an arduino?

did you try a google search?
are you looking for a node-red node that works with the sensor?

sure i checked google :wink:
and also the “old” forum

examples enough but no together with node red and i cannot find a node that does analog input

The pi doesn’t have any analogue input (unless you add an adc chip)

Clear, so it is not possible without am arduino

Right, you can not connect the sensor directly to the Pi, but ( as Dave said) you could connect it to an analog-to-digital converter and attach that to one of the Pi’s pins.

However, you will have to do some work to figure out how to do that.

RogierQ,

There are many possibilities..... there ar hall sensor which you can set with a poteciometer to the desired value to trigger a digital output so you don't need analog input from the raspberry pi as example:

You have also the option to get an I2C to Analog 4 channel like ADS1015 which can be handled through the raspi

And my preferred choice personally is to use an arduino board flashed with standard firmdata and plgged by usb to the raspberry which can be easily handled in node red with node-red-node-arduino so you separate the input/outputs power from the raspberry, for me this has several advantages, very easy and more safe.

There are many tutorials, now is your choice to investigate a bit.....

Regards

4 Likes

Nice answer. My go-to approach these days is always an ESP8266 flashed with ESPeasy, Tasmota or Homie (or custom code if you are that way inclined as I sometimes am) connected over WiFi to MQTT.

That way I don't have to worry about having the sensor next to the Pi. ESP devices are so cheap that it makes no odds whether you get them or an Arduino and they are a lot more versatile in general because of their networking.

You could even switch up to an ESP32 if you need more power and/or Bluetooth.

1 Like