How to create a new UI from scratch

So I’m working on a project and need to create a new editor UI to create flows from scratch. @mike said he has done it in another thread and I’m wondering how to do it with existing APIs. Also I’m wondering if I can use the APIs to programatically create flows.

For my project I created a simple ‘wizard’ framework that would generate new flows based on a series of forms. The idea is that for beginners, they would like to be guided through a specific task rather than given a blank canvas to start with.

The user goes through forms, step by step, setting the configuration options. When done, the flow is added to Node-RED using the runtime API, specifically the RED.nodes.addFlow() method. The format for a flow supplied to this API call an object containing the flow label and a list of nodes as in your flow file. Something like this:

var nrFlow = {
    label: "Flow Label",
    nodes: [
    {
       ... node params ...
        "wires": [
            [
                "a5a45767.173e88"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        ... node params ...
        "wires": []
    },
   ... more nodes ...
   ]
};

To do this, I needed to assume the nodes that the wizards use are already installed. I didn’t install them dynamically.

So you can build a different UI that creates flows in this format, and then call addFlow in a similar way. There may be other runtime API methods that would be useful for you depending on what you were after.

Alright, thanks. That looks interesting. Out of curiosity, what are the numbers in the following part of the snippet and how are they determined?

"wires": [
        [
            "a5a45767.173e88"
        ]
    ]

The wires property identifies what nodes a node is wired to. The values inside are the id properties of the connected nodes. They are generated in the editor.

Alright, is it possible to get the node ids by API for this? Maybe even return them as an object.

It is the id property of the node objects return by the existing apis.