How to debug performance issues

I am right that zigbee2mqtt has started npm? My status looks the same as yours but makes no sense to me. Because I thought that zigbee2mqtt is not directly connected to nodered beside that the messages are exchanged via MQTT. And of course the node inside nodered to configure zigbee2mqtt.

Right now I still do not understand why I have 10 instances of npm.

It seems that is normal for zigbee2mqtt and on my machine running zigbee2mqtt I also see the multiple npm processes and node processes, so probably that is nothing to worry about. The fact that it uses npm and node does not mean it is anything to do with node-red. Lots of s/w uses npm and node.

The Zigbee2MQTT entry was only one of several odd processes that the OP had running. They all need to be checked if they want the resource utilisation to come down.

Do you have any idea why zigbee2mqtt could do this? I guess then my system is running now ok and the main problem were the graphs.

Still I would like to try to optimize the reaction times to have my LED-spots work 99% of the time, not just ~90% like right now. Is there a way to see how much RAM and CPU resources a node is using? I could now deactivate one by one but right now I donā€™t have an idea how to measure the performance boost in some reasonable way.

In general I do work with 80 devices to switch things or measure dataā€™s, but the number of devices did not change significant the last two years. So on MQTT and also Zigbee is quite a bit of traffic but did work well a have year ago. It could be that everything is ok and I just have to try to find the biggest resource consumer to find ways how to solve the problem with lesser resources. The last have year I added mainly features or did some playing around with many different nodes.

Not sure how much your time is worth to you ?

In my case early in the piece for my Home Automation i decided i did not want to be messing around with things like these that crop up on lower powered (relatively) hardware. As such i moved my first NR deployment from a RPi to a 2nd hand laptop i had lying around - which ticked all the boxes for me - low power requirements, battery backup and much higher powered.

You can source 2nd hand SFF PCs for a pittance on ebay nowadays - here are some in Australia as an example

Later i moved to a Virtual machine environment - but that is a different story.

Craig

Haha, I have an i9 Tiny PC as my dev PC these days. My home server is also an old laptop - an old Lenovo X240, 8GB RAM, 256GB HD. Running in low power mode with the screen off.

Well there you go - if its good enough for Julian - its good enough for the OP !!!

Small world and Great minds !

Craig

My background is electrical engineering on embedded devices. A RPi Computer is pretty powerfull for my world of MCUs that start arround 0.5$ ;-). To learn how to utilise resources with care is definitly a good thing for me and as learned big mistakes were allready made by me.

Also power consumption is relativ. A RPi 3 is consuming a lot lesser then a old laprop.

That is certainly true. Though by the time you are running 3 with at least one of them using a hard drive for storage, compared to configuring a laptop into low-power mode, there isn't a lot of difference in consumption but there is a lot of difference in performance. Each have their own benefits of course.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.