How to install Tasmota on an ESP8266

This worked! Thx

1 Like

That would be great!

send a screen shot of the messages coming when when you have it up and running.
did i get you the code to translate the number into a usable output?

ok so here is new bin file because i was trying to do a video and the old one was fialing.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UufzScwCb1lANzBe_HPMiDozO8Sb_St1/view?usp=sharing
no i will start from sctratch and screen shot each step.
Also i was able to use tasmotizer and install this new one directly with no issues.
so here we go. on new step by step.
im actually going to do the step by step in google docs and then share to make this easier.

1 Like

Are you sure?

And the google drive file says tasmota i2c, isn't that a name that you gave to it?

The lastest Tasmota build (as of 14th April 2023) is 12.4.0

http://ota.tasmota.com/tasmota/release/

Doesn't the Tasmotizer make this easy ? GitHub - tasmota/tasmotizer: ESP... The time has come to... Tasmotize!

YES it does.

Yes it really does. Main thing to remember when making the new file you need to compile with sensors, and with i2c.
The ads1115 analog converter communicates with parent devices via i2c.
That's why on the Google drive bin file i did i renamed to i2c so i can differentiate it from the bin with just sensors.

It's not always necessary to compile your own version.

There are many pre compiled versions of the firmware available, if you flash with the "sensor" version then most common sensors are included, along with i2c.

A list of features included in the different pre-built images can be found - here

Yes but the i2c isn't included with the sensor one, i had to create one that had both.

That probably explains why I can't get my BME280 working on any ESP with tasmota-sensors.

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/BME280/ says "This feature is only included in tasmota-sensors binaries"

Foolishly I assumed it meant the feature is included in that precompiled binary.

If itā€™s any help, I have a BME280 running ok with the sensors build ( v 9.2 ) on an ESP8266.

I use the ads1115 and it uses i2c, it didn't work with the standard sensor build.

I beg to differ, I have used it a lot with i2c sensors and if you check the link you can see exactly what each build includes.

It is included in the sensor build :wink:

If you have your sensor wired up correctly then it will be detected and show temps on the main web page of the esp.

I may be off topic.
If you want to customize a tasmota binary without having to install everything locally on his machine. There is this solution via the web.

It's nice and easy to use.
It creates a binary that can be installed via a browser or via tasmotizer

1 Like

I confirmed that my BME280 is not dead by using the Arduino IDE, then back to Tasmota.

Yes I2C does work with tasmota-sensors (I'm using v12.4.0)

The settings that work are the same as I first tried so I guess repeated removal/insertion has finally cleaned the breadboard connections

1 Like

It didn't do that with my esp8266 setup!

I used the tasmota-sensors-bin.gz and connected a DS18B20 to it. Said the D2 was the data pin. No values were shown...

How did you configure the tasmota after installing tasmota-sensors.bin.gz?