How to migrate node-red from Rpi to to Cloud

Hi Guys,

I already have my application running over node-red under Rpi3. I would like to implement it on node-red IBM Cloud, I have an account in bluemix. I tried to use node-red editor on IBM cloud an I got some problems to install some modules an also to copy my local nodes from rpi to node-red editor on IBM cloud. I believe that have a easy way to do it.

Please, somebody can share w/ me a tutorial that explain better how to do it?

Best Regards,
Alex

0 Likes

There are lots of tutorials findable on google such as

0 Likes

It may also depend which nodes you are trying to use... some nodes will not run (sensibly) in the cloud... like serial ports - or bluetooth - etc... as they talk to local hardware on your Pi, which obviously won't exist in the cloud... Other than that Ctrl-A to select all your nodes then select export all nodes - and copy them to the clip board and then import to the workspace on the cloud side would get you started... -

In general it is better to add any special nodes you need to the package.json on the cloud side - but that is part of the continuous development workflow which is part of Bluemix standard practise, but cut/paste should get you started to see if it can be made to run at all.

0 Likes

Mrs ukmoose and Dceejay thanks a lot for your help!!!
Sorry I have not explained better how about is my idea!

I have a local machine Rpi3 that run modules that is not compatible for Node-Red on Bluemix as you told me, but i need to make a control externally my LAN.
I have Dashboard node, as the button, that i need to make external control, however this module, in the flow, have relationship and need to send messages to an incompatible module. As you can see below:

My Flow:

My Dashboard Menu - That I need to make a control without home with node-red Bluemix:

0 Likes

Before you expose anything to the internet (so you can control it from outside your LAN) you need to be fully aware of the security implications of this. A good place to start would be @TotallyInformation 's web page here - https://it.knightnet.org.uk/kb/nr-qa/node-red-internet/

1 Like

Dceejay, thanks for share material w/ me.
I understood that to connecting on internet i need to keep NAT/PAT on my router and together configure the Dynamic DNS services. But I thought IBM Cloud can give a security tools to connect my local device (Rpi3) and can provide:

Multi tenancy application (multiples device below a specific folder, like a tree)
To stor a data sent by Rpi3
To stor a configuration (backup)
etc.

I would like to create an IoT service structure togther IBM BlueMix.
I can do it?

0 Likes

Please note, should be Mr !!!!!!

0 Likes

You can build that sort of thing using the IBM IoT platform on Bluemix - but you need to use the platform to manage devices, and Watson IOT nodes to communicate with it securely. It can use Node-RED but it is not 100% the same.

@krambriw - No worries - I think @aargollo was aiming at a plural for Mr :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Thanks a lot @dceejay for your assistance. Would you have a tutorial or web course to share with me?
I need to improve my knowledge about IBM IoT plataform.

But initially with node-red, using the dashaboard node, I can make a control of my device gateway? I have doubts because i builded my flows, in local node-red device, using a serialport together dashboard button. Maybe i need to build a new flow in BlueMix that need to make the push in local hardware, directly in my local dashboard node, and than i can make a total control of the devices conneted in the gateway.

I need to use an specific node to to it? Can you advise me how to do it?
I dindt undertanding well how to the Node-Red Bluemix will establish a comunication with my local Rpi3 (node-red)!

Best Regards,
Alex

0 Likes

Well there is the Coursera course here - https://www.coursera.org/learn/developer-iot

If you "just" want to control one or two devices then the technique using Telegram (as per @TotallyInformation site linked above) is probably the safest way to experiment.

1 Like