How to proper debug custom node

Hi,

I've created my fist custom node following the ufficial doc and so far it's fine, but is not really clear to me how to debug efficiently the node...everytime I modify something and want to test it out I need to re-install the node using npm install?

Hi @Deca

if you followed the guide, you should have run npm install <location of node module> which, if you have npm 5 or later, will have created a filesystem link between the .node-red directory and where your node is located. That means you don't need to reinstall the node each time - you just need to restart node-red.

Personally, I use nodemon to run node-red and have it automatically restart whenever it sees changes to the node files.

2 Likes

I now have a very strong muscle memory: ctrl-c, uparrow, enter (selects "y" to cancel the script), uparrow, enter (selects the last command which starts Node-RED) :slight_smile:

I often don't use a watcher because of another strong muscle-memory: ctrl-s !

As I develop using VScode, I have an npm start script to start the dev version of Node-RED manually. I also have a similar "inspect" script that starts Node-RED with Node.JS's inspect feature turned on so that I can dig into detailed debugging if needed. The Vivaldi browser (and I imagine all other Chromium-based browsers) has a handy icon in the developer tools interface that opens a Node.js debugging window. VSCode of course, also has this built in.

Sorry for the late reply, weekend arrived and then I had other urgent work to do...now I'm back to testing my custom node :slight_smile:
I'm working on windows so I guess there no filesystem link generation, at the moment I was editing the node directly in the /node_modules directory...anyway I'll give a try to nodemon, because manually relaunching node-red every time I touch something is very exausting and timeconsuming

FS Links work fine on Windows and have done ever since NTFS was introduced.

Just use npm link in your custom node's devel directory to create a global link.
Then use npm link node-red-contrib-mynode in your NR workspace dir to "install" the node as a symbolic link. Substitute the package name, of course. :grinning:

Works fine on Windows, too.

I find it a lot easier and simpler to just npm install /path/to/source/code

2 Likes

I must admit, I have never tried that. :flushed:

I first started developing with NodeJS using Linux, so symlinks just felt as a natural tool. I symlinked the packages manually in the beginning, until I came across npm link. When we started developing NodeJS at work using Windows, I just kept that approach.

There are some advantages to this approach:

• the workspace is relocatable, because the links always point to the location of your global npm package directory
  • you can just "install" it using its package name, no need to know the path to the package

That makes it easier for setup scripts (e.g. for a VSCode workspace) to get everything up and running. :grinning:

But I will surely give it a try. Maybe it works with relative paths, too.

1 Like

Actually, neither did I until recently.

That's what I was doing until npm messed it up. It used to work great but if you try that now, at least on Windows, running any kind of npm update/install overwrites the linked installation .. grrr.

I don't like using that on Windows as it does strange things with the links. It puts an intermediate link in the global area - weird.

I wouldn't ever want to do that, all my source code is in a fixed place. c:\src. Also, my dev node-red installation sits in c:\src\nr rather than global with the userDir folder as c:\src\nr\data. That way I can easily run up multiple different configurations and even different versions of Node-RED in parallel. Very helpful when working on something like uibuilder where I need to test on different configurations (e.g. with and without projects enabled).