I don't want to use credentialSecret and I don't need encryption

Hi mates, when I start NR it shows me:

Your flow credentials file is encrypted using a system-generated key.
If the system-generated key is lost for any reason, your credentials
file will not be recoverable, you will have to delete it and re-enter
your credentials.
You should set your own key using the 'credentialSecret' option in
your settings file. Node-RED will then re-encrypt your credentials
file using your chosen key the next time you deploy a change.

I've neve set credentialSecret and I don't want to do it, my system is safe and not exposed to anyone else, I don't want to encript nothing and avoid any kind of problem cloning/importing to a new system my flow, I don't want to risk to loose the ton of hours I've spent on NR building my flow, I just want to sleep fine at night :slight_smile:
Actually my flow is not encripted, I can open it with an editor and see all data, so I don't know why NR tells me it's encrypted with a system key it generated, can you please clear me more about that?
Should I leave it as now? (still in defaut as installed, about that setting).
Thank you

This message is about your credentials file, not your flow file. The credentials file sits alongside your flow file and contains just the properties identified as credentials.

If you really don't want it to be encrypted, then set credentialSecret to false in your settings file. The next time you restart Node-RED and then deploy a change, it will decrypt your creds file. But if you're doing that, you may as well set it to a string of your choice to keep it encrypted.

thank you for your kind answer :slight_smile:
What is credential for? What it contains and why it can be important? I was thinking it's the flow itself.. what other datas there can be sensible?
Thanks

For example user and password names in MQTT nodes. You don't want those in plain text in your flows file if, for example, you back up the flows somewhere, or if you paste the flow here.

I got it, thanks, no better to have all clear. I'll set it to false ) before I backup everything

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.