I2C node explanation for mcp4725

Good day

I am a new to node red, and programming all together. I have not done programming in well over 12 years. The last programming I have done was PIC and arduino. I have attempted to utilise the node-red-contrib-i2c node. I have tried to learn from other people on the forum and also have tried to read and understand the code.

I still do not understand how this node works at all. Please could someone assist in clarifying this node as it may help people in future.

I know i have to send a control byte and two more bytes that possess my output values, but I am failing at accomplishing this due to not understanding the node.

Please point me in the right direction in order to figure it out.

The I2C scan node works perfectly. The I2C out does not work due to me not understanding how to use it effectively.

I have also played around and got various results. One being:

""RangeError [ERR_OUT_OF_RANGE]: The value of "value" is out of range. It must be >= -128 and <= 127. Received 1632865619064"

But I do not know what I did. I have deleted most of my flows while playing around.

regards

And neither do we :slight_smile: I recommend you let us know exactly what it is you want to control/do and how you tried it, else, the rest is just a guess.

Thank you for the response gunner.

I am only trying to add analogue inputs and outputs to my raspberry pi. I am using the ads1115 module, which has several nodes on node red that can be used. The mcp4725 does not have any nodes hence utilising the i2c contrib node.

I do not understand the parameters when you enter the i2c out node. address is the device address, in my case 0x60 hex. The command, payload and sent bytes is where I get confused.

From what I understand from the mcp4725 datasheetmcp4725.pdf (1.5 MB)
is that we send a control byte ( in my case 0b01000000), and then two further bytes of data (which sets the value).

Previously I did this in other programs using a Buffer.

buffer[1] = 0b01000000;
buffer[2] = val <<4, to get LSB
buffer[3]= val >>4, to get MSB

And then wrote the buffer to i2C. 

Now I have tried to do something similar, but I dont understand the parameters and how to use it.

I will attach my attempts using node red in due course.

regards

I looked at that node... nope, not a clue :stuck_out_tongue: Not much clarity in past forum topics about it either.

However, I was able to use the exec node to control my I2C devices via command line i2cset commands. Perhaps that might work better for you as well?

I managed to install this node, but like the ads1115 node from ncd, it does not allow me to access the data comm option. after updating npm, node and node red, it refuses to install altogether. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall but it fails altogether.

What versions of those are you using?

Show us the error you get when you try to install.

> @serialport/bindings@2.0.8 install /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/ncd-red-comm/node_modules/@serialport/bindings
> prebuild-install --tag-prefix @serialport/bindings@ || node-gyp rebuild

prebuild-install WARN install No prebuilt binaries found (target=14.18.0 runtime=node arch=arm libc= platform=linux)
make: Entering directory '/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/ncd-red-comm/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build'
  CXX(target) Release/obj.target/bindings/src/serialport.o
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Open(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:78:69: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Open, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterOpen);
                                                                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Update(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:135:71: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Update, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterUpdate);
                                                                       ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Close(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:175:70: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Close, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterClose);
                                                                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Flush(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:215:70: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Flush, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterFlush);
                                                                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Set(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:270:68: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Set, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterSet);
                                                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Get(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:314:68: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Get, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterGet);
                                                                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘void EIO_AfterGet(uv_work_t*)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:329:96: error: no matching function for call to ‘v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::String>, Nan::imp::FactoryBase<v8::Boolean>::return_t)’
     results->Set(Nan::New<v8::String>("cts").ToLocalChecked(), Nan::New<v8::Boolean>(data->cts));
                                                                                                ^
In file included from /home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/node.h:67,
                 from ../../../../../nan/nan.h:58,
                 from ../src/./serialport.h:6,
                 from ../src/serialport.cpp:1:
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3670:37: note: candidate: ‘v8::Maybe<bool> v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::Context>, v8::Local<v8::Value>, v8::Local<v8::Value>)’
   V8_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT Maybe<bool> Set(Local<Context> context,
                                     ^~~
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3670:37: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 2 provided
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3673:37: note: candidate: ‘v8::Maybe<bool> v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::Context>, uint32_t, v8::Local<v8::Value>)’
   V8_WARN_UNUSED_RESULT Maybe<bool> Set(Local<Context> context, uint32_t index,
                                     ^~~
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3673:37: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 2 provided
../src/serialport.cpp:330:96: error: no matching function for call to ‘v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::String>, Nan::imp::FactoryBase<v8::Boolean>::return_t)’
     results->Set(Nan::New<v8::String>("dsr").ToLocalChecked(), Nan::New<v8::Boolean>(data->dsr));
                                                                                                ^
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3670:37: note: candidate: ‘v8::Maybe<bool> v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::Context>, v8::Local<v8::Value>, v8::Local<v8::Value>)’
                                     ^~~
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3670:37: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 2 provided
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3673:37: note: candidate: ‘v8::Maybe<bool> v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::Context>, uint32_t, v8::Local<v8::Value>)’
                                     ^~~
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/v8.h:3673:37: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 2 provided
../src/serialport.cpp:331:96: error: no matching function for call to ‘v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::String>, Nan::imp::FactoryBase<v8::Boolean>::return_t)’
     results->Set(Nan::New<v8::String>("dcd").ToLocalChecked(), Nan::New<v8::Boolean>(data->dcd));
                                                                                                ^
                                     ^~~
                                     ^~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE GetBaudRate(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:363:76: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_GetBaudRate, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterGetBaudRate);
                                                                            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘void EIO_AfterGetBaudRate(uv_work_t*)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:378:106: error: no matching function for call to ‘v8::Object::Set(v8::Local<v8::String>, Nan::imp::IntegerFactory<v8::Integer>::return_t)’
     results->Set(Nan::New<v8::String>("baudRate").ToLocalChecked(), Nan::New<v8::Integer>(data->baudRate));
                                                                                                          ^
                                     ^~~
                                     ^~~
../src/serialport.cpp: In function ‘Nan::NAN_METHOD_RETURN_TYPE Drain(Nan::NAN_METHOD_ARGS_TYPE)’:
../src/serialport.cpp:409:70: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(uv_work_t*)’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*)’} to ‘uv_after_work_cb’ {aka ‘void (*)(uv_work_s*, int)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
   uv_queue_work(uv_default_loop(), req, EIO_Drain, (uv_after_work_cb)EIO_AfterDrain);
                                                                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp: At global scope:
../src/serialport.cpp:430:28: warning: unnecessary parentheses in declaration of ‘ToParityEnum’ [-Wparentheses]
 SerialPortParity NAN_INLINE(ToParityEnum(const v8::Local<v8::String>& v8str)) {
                            ^
../src/serialport.cpp:449:30: warning: unnecessary parentheses in declaration of ‘ToStopBitEnum’ [-Wparentheses]
 SerialPortStopBits NAN_INLINE(ToStopBitEnum(double stopBits)) {
                              ^
In file included from ../../../../../nan/nan.h:58,
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/node.h:787:43: warning: cast between incompatible function types from ‘void (*)(Nan::ADDON_REGISTER_FUNCTION_ARGS_TYPE)’ {aka ‘void (*)(v8::Local<v8::Object>)’} to ‘node::addon_register_func’ {aka ‘void (*)(v8::Local<v8::Object>, v8::Local<v8::Value>, void*)’} [-Wcast-function-type]
       (node::addon_register_func) (regfunc),                          \
                                           ^
/home/pi/.cache/node-gyp/14.18.0/include/node/node.h:821:3: note: in expansion of macro ‘NODE_MODULE_X’
   NODE_MODULE_X(modname, regfunc, NULL, 0)  // NOLINT (readability/null_usage)
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
../src/serialport.cpp:483:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘NODE_MODULE’
 NODE_MODULE(serialport, init);
 ^~~~~~~~~~~
make: *** [bindings.target.mk:112: Release/obj.target/bindings/src/serialport.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/ncd-red-comm/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build'
gyp ERR! build error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:400:28)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:282:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 5.4.83-v7+
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /home/pi/.node-red/node_modules/ncd-red-comm/node_modules/@serialport/bindings
gyp ERR! node -v v14.18.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok 
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! @serialport/bindings@2.0.8 install: `prebuild-install --tag-prefix @serialport/bindings@ || node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! 
npm ERR! Failed at the @serialport/bindings@2.0.8 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2021-10-04T15_23_57_107Z-debug.log

I will uninstall and install older versions of the node. however, the ncd ads1115 and mcp4725 nodes, do not allow the comm type to be changed. There are no selection choices whatsoever. They are completely blank.

regards

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.