Influxdb WAL and SD cards

Hi,

not a question directly related to node-red, but I guess many people here might use influx databases.

So far I had influx data on an external usb stick. Since I now need that port for something else and generally the size of my database is small anyway, I want to store it to the SD card the system is running from (an old cubietruck)

Is it necessary/recommended to play with the wal-fsync-delay or similar settings? Maybe even move the WAL to a ramdisk?

Although am I using a good and large SD card and never had issues so far, I think that it is just not right to write to the file system when ever a sensor reports a new value. Caching those in memory and doing writes every couple hours seems much more sensible.

I do not believe so. I have had 2 Pi's running 24x7x365 for some years now with the same cards and I do nothing to reduce writes to he cards. I have many outputs writing to MQTT with retention and to InfluxDB as well as all of the logging output from the system, Node-RED, InfluxDB, MQTT, Telegraf Unifi controller and more. Admittedly, I do keep my sensors to reporting once a minute generally so I don't go mad with them. But either way, neither card shows any sign of issues even after 3+ years of solid work.

As far as I can tell, 3 factors influence things:

1. Good, branded SD-Cards.
  2. Large sizes so that wear levelling has plenty of room to work with.
  3. A decent power supply to minimise power issues.

I do have my Pi's attached to a PC UPS which doubtless helps. Though my Pi3 constantly reports low power issues and has occasionally hung or rebooted on me. The Pi2 hasn't skipped a beat in a long time though.

ok, then I will probably just try that too. I am using 32gb ScanDisk (extreme? don't remember correctly).

Thanks.

I have to say that with one of my raspberries, I had a lot of trouble in the beginning with SD cards, even though it was a high quality one (but only 8 gb)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.