Introduce myself and need a little help in the right direction

Hello members,

First of all i want to introduce myself.
I am Martijn 37 years and i live in the Netherlands in Oss and i am married she said and we have a 6 year old child.

My intention is to create a dashboard that i can use with my homey because the original dash don't look nice for me and too limited.

On Thursday there is a web seminar from a facebook group member for homey users in the Netherlands and i think he is going to explain the basics.
But to read myself in i make an account here to learn and read because on this moment it is all abracadabera for me.
i have plenty of time so i can earn it i think but i just need a little bit help in the right direction.

My plan is to buy an raspberry pi4 to install it, and i hope you guys can give me a little direction to google and search because now i don't know where to look.

I never had an rasperryPi so where do i start? Do i have to install something else before i install the node red?Because i think the raspberry wont do nothing when i hoop it up out of the box.
What do i have to install to make it run and go on with the node red guide.
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/raspberrypi

I don't expected that i get full typed guides because i know on a forum they always say you need to use the search function. The only thing i hope is that i get a push in my back to the right direction.

Thanks for your time and comments.

The first place to start with the raspberryPi is at the Raspberry Pi website. Here is a link to getting started: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pathways/getting-started-with-raspberry-pi

For getting started with Node-RED wathn this series of videos created by the makers of Node-RED. An hour spent will be well worth it.

Go thru the tutorial section of the forum.

Take a look at the 'Share Your Projects' section of the forum and import some and see what they do.

And now do some playing. Start small and create a flow that sends some text to a debug node. Add a switch node in and see how it works.

You are not going to be able to make a flow that controls your entire household's electrical system...yet...but as you learn a little each day, soon you will be answering others questions.

At least that's what I did. :grin:

Thanks for you're time, i know it is maybe hard to learn but i have plenty of time.
Now i know where to start.

thanks

Welcome to the Forum !

So in Laymans terms you will need the following

1. Raspberry Pi - the Model 4 is the latest and greatest and if your budget will stretch to it that is the one to get - you do not need to get one with all the bells and whistles - a 2GB or 4GB model will be more than enought to get you going

2. A decent power supply to make the Pi run - highly recommend you get a quality one

3. A high Quality SD card - this is where everything is stored

4. A video cable to go from the Micro HDMI port to your monitor

5. A keyboard (and mouse if you wish)

Once you have all this you need to install an Operating System to make the PI do what you want - read throught the previous links and choose your preferred operating system

Craig

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.